We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Los Angeles to San Francisco

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from Los Angeles to San Francisco

Hi guys! I'm sorry if this has been asked before. My hubby and I will be traveling from LA to San Francisco (and vice versa) and we need advice re. these different options:

(1) By bus: From my internet research, I came across these 2: California Shuttle Bus and GotoBus.

- Can you guys please comment on these 2 bus companies?

- Do any of you guys know any other bus companies that operate between LA and San Francisco?

(2) By plane: We're traveling on short notice so the airfares are already quite high. Southwest is $400 for the 2 of us, Virgin America is almost $300. Any other airlines that you know?

(3) By train: I've read that Amtrak takes almost 10 hrs. I wonder if the ride is exhausting. (I've tried taking the 12-hr train trip from Singapore to KL before and I felt like barfing the whole time.)

Has anyone tried this?

I'd greatly appreciate your help! Thanks!!!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,398 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Los Angeles to San Francisco

What date are you traveling from L.A. to SF?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Los Angeles to San Francisco

Greyhound can also get you between LA and SF, but it probably takes about 11 or 12 hours as well and is pretty much the barest of bare bones ways to travel.

For airfares, you can always try bidding on priceline for a flight, but be aware of the limitations of doing that, etc.

Another thought would be to try renting a car. If you take the non-scenic route (along Interstate 5) the drive is about 6 hours, instead of 11+ by bus or Amtrak.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Los Angeles to San Francisco

LA to San Francisco - July 8

San Francisco to LA - July 12

Thanks!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Los Angeles to San Francisco

Hi MachThree,

We've read negative feedbacks re. Greyhound, that's the reason why we're not even considering it an option.

We would have loved to drive but we're first-time tourists to the US.

I'll check Priceline. Thanks much!!!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,398 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Los Angeles to San Francisco

I'm sorry. I misunderstood you. Virgin America is offering this route for $278 return for the two of you. That's $69.50 per person, each way. That's not expensive! Yes, some of the bus companies charge $29 or so but you're comparing an hour on a plane with 7-1/2 hours on a bus! If you'd rather fly, then book your air tickets as soon as possible.

Also, look at Jetblue.com which departs out of Long Beach airport (airport code LGB, near L.A.) and flies into SFO. Their fare is a little bit less than Virgin America's ($268.80) but you might spend the savings transferring to and from LGB.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Los Angeles to San Francisco

OP- If you don't travel well by train then a bus will be worse.

There are 3 airports in the SF area and 5 in the LA area. Some may not be practical for your plans but definitely check combinations of the airports that are OK. It's the world's busiest city pair for air travel and there are many flights and competition is keen.

As mentioned check JetBlue; you're already aware of Southwest and Virgin. Also don't ignore major airlines like American, United, Alaska Air, etc. Since you're on a budget, look at flights late at night or mid-day which are not used by business travelers as much.

7. Re: Bus from Los Angeles to San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2010, 06:16