We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best subway destinations from Hollywood

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
Level Contributor
3,018 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Best subway destinations from Hollywood

My husband and I have booked 4 nights (Wed - Sat) at the Roosevelt (great Priceline deal) We are going to a concert at the Gibson amphitheater at Universal CityWalk on Wednesday night, and our daughter lives in the area (Fountain Ave.), so she can drive us in the evenings and on the weekends. I think I have my husband convinced that we don't need to rent a car, thus saving $30 per day parking + valet tips. He is concerned that we won't find enough to do without a car on Thursday & Friday. I know that we are well located to walk to all the touristy Hollywood stuff, which we have never done before, but where else should we go that is easily accessible by subway?

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
584 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best subway destinations from Hollywood

Take the Red Line downtown to Union Station. Go across the street to Olvera Street, L.A.'s oldest street. Walk a few blocks more to Chinatown. Or walk a few blocks in the other direction to Little Tokyo. If you're in town when the Dodgers have a home game, take the shuttle to Dodger Stadium from Union Station. Check out what's happening at the Hollywood Bowl because you can walk to the Hollywood Bowl from the Roosevelt Hotel. Or take the Red Line downtown, transfer to the Blue Line and take it to its terminus in downtown Long Beach.

www.hollywoodbowl.com

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best subway destinations from Hollywood

Another alternative is to take the Red Line to its ending at Union Station and from Union Station take the Gold Line light rail train towards Sierra Madre, exit at one of the stations in Pasadena. I think the Memorial Park station is the best choice as its near Old Town Pasadena, along with the Norton Simon Museum which is a great art museum.

Also, you can take the Red Line to the 7th Street Metro Center and there switch to the Purple Line (they use the same platform) to go to Korea Town.

Of course, you need not limit yourself to where the subway/train system goes. For instance you can reach Santa Monica with two buses from The Roosevelt. Also, once you are in downtown via the Red Line, the DASH bus system can come in handy and goes to a lot of destinations.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best subway destinations from Hollywood

You could also take the 780 Rapid bus (across the street from the Roosevelt) to Museum Row, where you can choose from the Los Angeles County Museum of Art--the largest art museum west of Chicago; La Brea tar pits--an archeological site with prehistoric fossils and an oil seep; the Craft and Folk Art Museum and the Peterson Auto Museum. When you're done walk up to the Farmers Market at 3rd & Fairfax for lunch or a snack.

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,018 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best subway destinations from Hollywood

Actually our daughter works right next to the Farmer's Market, so we could meet her there for lunch.

I like the idea of going to Pasadena, as I've never been there before. It sounds like we will have plenty of options to choose from.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,065 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best subway destinations from Hollywood

A couple of more points re: the car:

1. You can rent a car for a day if you feel like you need to 'drive away'. There's a budget rent a car across the street from the Hollywood & Highland Center Mall (on Hollywood Bl, just 2 blocks east of your hotel).

2. You can park the car for up to 24 hours at the Hollywood & Highland Center Mall (again, 2 blocks from your hotel). There are no in/out privileges, however. The fee is $10

Edited: 25 June 2010, 05:16
6. Re: Best subway destinations from Hollywood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2010, 06:18