We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
cork
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
car hire - san francisco to santa barbara

i want to rent a car in san fran and drop it off in santa barbara. what companies are best for this

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire - san francisco to santa barbara

I saw in your other post that you are planning to come to LA from Santa Barbara by train, and then it sounds like you won't have a car once in LA. I'd suggest reconsidering - LA is an easier city to visit with a car. You can do public transportation in LA, but its not as convenient and usually takes longer to get places.

In any case, Hertz, Avis and Enterprise all have offices not far from the Amtrak Station in Santa Barbara, and they'll all have offices in San Francisco, including at the airports there.

However, since you are coming from the UK, you may want to book your car through an agency, like www.carhire3000.co.uk Web sites like this include all necessary insurances and fees, including one way drop fees, in the price they quote you. If you book directly with one of the companies I've mentioned above, you'll need to buy insurance from them separetely and they'll probably try to upsell you a bunch of other stuff that you probably don't need once you go to pick up the car.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire - san francisco to santa barbara

I agree that a car is a big advantage in Los Angeles. Actually the best way to do this is to fly to LAX, rent a car, proceed north on the coast and drop the car off in San Francisco. In San Francisco itself, you don't need a car, although it is good to have for visiting Muir Woods, and Napa-Sonoma wine areas.

Windsor UK
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire - san francisco to santa barbara

It would be best to use one of the 3rd party booking agents here in the UK.As you are picking up and dropping off in the same state there is unlikely to be any one way fees but you need to ask whichever agent you use before you book..One way drop fees are an extra charge that may or may not be added they are not part of the insurance package that you will need with hiring a car in the US.

4. Re: car hire - san francisco to santa barbara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2010, 06:16