We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morning rush in LA I-405 N to I-5 N to SR14?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
78 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Morning rush in LA I-405 N to I-5 N to SR14?

Hi guys,

I will be leaving LA from Beverly Hills heading northbound I-405 N to I-5 N to SR14 in the morning and will be driving for 8 hours to my destination.

Are there any issues with rush hour heading out of the city in the morning? If so, which times should I avoid?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,220 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Morning rush in LA I-405 N to I-5 N to SR14?

Rush hour is between 7AM and 10AM. It is very heavy traffic on that route at that time.

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
154 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Morning rush in LA I-405 N to I-5 N to SR14?

I drive the 405 N from Santa Monica every morning and there is never any traffic unless there is an accident. Going South, however, is a different story. Luckily you are traveling away from the city so there should be no issues.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Morning rush in LA I-405 N to I-5 N to SR14?

Heading north is the better direction on the 405 in morning rush hour. Rush hour traffic is usually thinning out by 9:30, so to be completely safe I'd wait until around that time to leave. I think once you've traveled about 6 or 7 miles from Beverly Hills into the San Fernando Valley it will be smooth sailing even if you left a bit earlier than that. I'd expect that by the time you reach I5, it will be little traffic on that road.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Morning rush in LA I-405 N to I-5 N to SR14?

Actually, I don't think it's that bad in the morning. Take Wilshire west from BH, right lane ramp from Wilshire to the 405. I'm not saying there will be no traffic, but most of the heavy traffic will be coming the other way.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
592 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Morning rush in LA I-405 N to I-5 N to SR14?

Once you get onto the freeway, it shouldn't be a problem. There's virtually no traffic heading out of west LA towards the valley in the morning. The drive down Wilshire might be kind of slow, but the rest of the drive should be easy unless there's an accident.

6. Re: Morning rush in LA I-405 N to I-5 N to SR14?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2010, 07:29