We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Airport would be most central to LA and San Diego?

Rockford, IL
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What Airport would be most central to LA and San Diego?

I'm looking to do a trip to LA and San Diego but am wondering which airport would make the most sense to fly into? LAX? SAN? Or would another be more central to both cities? Thanks for you're help!

California
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Airport would be most central to LA and San Diego?

depends where you want to fly out of. I'd say find the lowest fare and go from there. Check how much the rental cars are for the length of your stay. I fly LAX twice in Dec, it's ok. Southwest fares are low and fly out of LAX and San Diego. Really depends on what you want to see too.

Escondido...
Level Contributor
848 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Airport would be most central to LA and San Diego?

John Wayne Airport (SNA) in Orange County is about an hour's drive south of LA and an hour's drive north of San Diego.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
94 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Airport would be most central to LA and San Diego?

Check into open-jaw fares - into LA & out of San Diego to save you the drive on what can be the sometimes awful 5/405 Freeways. SNA is in the middle, but doesn't make sense as you'd still have the same driving times/distance. LGB is a nice little airport you might look into too.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
678 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Airport would be most central to LA and San Diego?

Also,would someone please tell me how long it would take for a comfortable reasonable drive to San Diego from LA? Thanks, lucia

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
94 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Airport would be most central to LA and San Diego?

It really depends on what day of the week & time you are travelling.

La Habra, California
Level Contributor
699 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What Airport would be most central to LA and San Diego?

For Lucia, I would say it takes about 2-3 hrs. depending on what area of Los Angeles you are leaving from and whether you are traveling on the weekday or weekend. If you traveling on the weekend, it will be much faster--usually!

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What Airport would be most central to LA and San Diego?

If at all possible, avoid LAX unless the fares into LAX are just too good to pass up. It's just a horrible airport and the traffic around it is a nightmare. For a midway airport between LA and SD, Orange County Airport (SNA) in Santa Ana is your best bet. Also check out Long Beach Airport (LGB). Unfortunately, Southwest Airlines doesn't fly into LGB but I believe America West does. San Diego Airport is great and close to downtown, the harbor and beaches.

From LA to SD, It's only a little more than 100 miles and it used to only take a couple of hours to drive on I-5. But that was about 20 years ago. There's a lot more people who live the greater LA, Orange County and SD areas now. So if the trip is during the day, it's at least a three-hour drive, probably closer to four hours or more! I've even heard of trips taking six hours! Best bet, if you don't care about seeing anything, is to travel at night, especially after about 9 p.m.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
678 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What Airport would be most central to LA and San Diego?

Thank you Torta, Kind77, and Marshrat!

La Habra, California
Level Contributor
699 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What Airport would be most central to LA and San Diego?

You're quite welcome and thank you Lucia for making me 10 years younger!