We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from W.Hollywood to El Portal, Yosemite

West Midlands
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from W.Hollywood to El Portal, Yosemite

Driving from Hollywood blvd to El Portal -not sure whether this is the right forum but would welcome some advice on the best route and any decent places to stop and eat on the way?

Thanks.

Jon

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from W.Hollywood to El Portal, Yosemite

Basically from Hollywood, it's highways 101 (north) , 170, I-5, 99, 41,49, & 140, but I would recommend good maps, a GPS, or at least print directions from Google maps, etc.

Some people stop at one of the Basque restaurants in the towns along Highway 99, i.e. Bakersfield and Fresno. Here is a list of some: www.buber.net/Basque/Food/charley.html then you can check restaurant reviews here at TA . Basque restaurants tend to be family style and serve large portions. Personally, I would stop at fast food IN-N-OUT Burger, they have places in Bakersfield and Fresno, see www.in-n-out.com

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from W.Hollywood to El Portal, Yosemite

Post in the Yosemite forum for questions about the portion of the drive beyond Fresno.

West Midlands
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from W.Hollywood to El Portal, Yosemite

Thanks - we leave UK for LA on Thursday,stopping at the W in Hollywood for 6 nights before Yosemite.

I've been to California quite a few times but never stopped in LA for long and,to be honest,I'm not sure how best to fill the time (w/o a car) Any suggestions on that also would be most welcome!!

Jon.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from W.Hollywood to El Portal, Yosemite

It's difficult to suggest things to do since there is so much and it would depend on your interests. Also, without a car some of the better attractions take some time to get to by transit ...Gettys & Huntington Library for example. On the other hand, your hotel is at one of the metro subway stations, so some attractions are very convenient such as Universal Studios and downtown Los Angeles attractions. Also since your hotel is in the middle of Hollywood, the attractions there (Walk of Fame, Kodak Theatre, restaurants, etc.) are within walking distance. Also, you might consider a reasonable bus or taxi ride to the Miracle (aka Museum) Mile vicinity (roughly the area bounded by these streets: La Brea and Wilshire Blvds., Fairfax Ave. and Third Street). Within this area are the Farmers Market and Grove shopping areas, the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, the Petersen Automobile Museum, and the Page Museum - La Brea Tar Pits. Public transit info is at www.metro.net

Edited: 30 August 2010, 21:50
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,340 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from W.Hollywood to El Portal, Yosemite

Look through here for ideas of what to do;

locals.oyster.com/category/los-angeles/

6. Re: Travelling from W.Hollywood to El Portal, Yosemite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2011, 06:18