We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX Thrifty - bad as they say ?????

uk
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
LAX Thrifty - bad as they say ?????

booked via a UK website (as they include all insurance) only to find Thrifty is the supplier - not unduly worried until I did a search on the net and found lots of poor reviews.

We have booked a 4x4 Ford Escape (or similar) what SUVs do they do there and if they have no SUVs what would be a similar reoplacement car (I would settle for a converable LOL)

Brasilia
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LAX Thrifty - bad as they say ?????

Hope it's not that bad...I have a Dodge Charger reservation for 2 weeks (starting on sept 18th).

2. Re: LAX Thrifty - bad as they say ?????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 September 2010, 09:05
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LAX Thrifty - bad as they say ?????

The Original Poster is asking about Thrifty. No one here has mentioned Deluxe except for you. Why are you bringing it up in an absolutely unrelated thread?

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LAX Thrifty - bad as they say ?????

FWIW, I've rented from Thifty once or maybe twice at LAX without incident in the past few years. Thrifty and Dollar are the same company but with different rental offices (they are owned by DTAG, "Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group") which is a Chrysler spin off (which is why they have so many Chrysler cars). I've not read those bad reviews you mention but I had a good experience with them and with Dollar (who I have rented from much more often)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LAX Thrifty - bad as they say ?????

Europeans have reported lots of problems when renting from Thrifty/Dollar (same company). They ignore the information printed on some vouchers and force you to pay extra at the counter. People think they'll be able to sort it out with the travel company once they get back home but this often is not the case. I would avoid them. They don't generally have the best rates for UK residents anyway, Hertz and National often have better rates with all the insurances included up front and with no agency to deal with in the middle.

uk
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LAX Thrifty - bad as they say ?????

Too late now Ive already booked via a third party and then found it was Thrifty - all insurances are paid as is breakdown cover, I presume they will try to push the lost key/ punchure repair cover as they all do.

Whats the deal with filling the tank?, Will it be supplied empty and do I return it empty, I never took the option of a full tank as you end up paying over the odds for it.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LAX Thrifty - bad as they say ?????

Some companies will give you the car with a full tank and expect it returned with a full or nearly full tank.

Others will give you the car with whatever amount of gas it had when the last customer returned it, and expect you to return it with a similar amount of gas, which will be noted on the paperwork that they give you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LAX Thrifty - bad as they say ?????

Some of the agencies, AutoEurope for instance, has it in your contract that you must buy a full tank of gas at pickup and return it empty.

uk
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LAX Thrifty - bad as they say ?????

Joe - thats exactly what they do in europe - its a right con, they always end up with more gas in them than emprty and they also usually try to charge for a full tank but more than it can actually hold but with no proof of how much they put in to fill it.

recently went to spain where they charged me for 80 litres of gas (wroked out by extra cost divided by local gas station I saw ) I thought that was excessive but we were over a barrel. When I checked on the internet the cars tank only took 60 odd litres

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LAX Thrifty - bad as they say ?????

Interesting to note, Hertz has just agreed to buy the Dollar/Thrifty rental companies.

…wsj.com/article/SB1000142405274870389720457…

It will take awhile for the sell to go through, but looks like some changes are coming up.