We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosaic Hotel - a question on the building

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mapua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
368 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Mosaic Hotel - a question on the building

I know my question may sound like we are being a little paranoid but..... We are booked to stay at the Mosaic in LA next month. Last week here in Christchurch, NZ where we live we had a damaging earthquake and have continued to be rocked by aftershocks. This has left us a little shaken and made us a little more cautious about hotels we stay in. I would be very grateful if anyone who has stayed here can tell me the condition of the hotel, I know hotels have strict safety requirements but I guess we would just like to put our minds at rest as more recently constructed buildings are obviously built with more up to date materials. Thank you.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,472 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosaic Hotel - a question on the building

We have extremely strict building laws here, don't worry about it. Also, Beverly Hills sits atop granite, meaning it's a safe place to be. I wouldn't give it another thought, just enjoy your vacation.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosaic Hotel - a question on the building

I don't think you've got anything to worry about. Most buildings here are going to survive even severe earthquakes. The Mosaic was built in 1965 and renovated (not sure if that included any structural upgrades) in 2003, and rooms received a refresh a few years ago too.

Mapua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
368 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosaic Hotel - a question on the building

Thank you for your very prompt reply. This is the first time we have been in an earthquake of this magnitude so it has made us jittery and looking at the damage to the older buildings in our city does make you think a little more about your safety. We were due to travel to the US next week but have had to postpone the trip to next month to give us time to get a few repairs organised etc. Thanks again

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosaic Hotel - a question on the building

Good luck with rebuilding.

California is very good at building--and rebuilding older structures--to withstand earthquakes. Once you're able to come here, you should be fine.

5. Re: Mosaic Hotel - a question on the building

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2011, 06:16