We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX to Escondido

Hadleigh, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
187 reviews
Save Topic
LAX to Escondido

Will be arriving on Saturday afternoon (god willing) into LAX. We are then driving down to Escondido . Picking the Alamo car rental up off airport. Are there any potential hazards we should look out for? I do not really want to end up on the road to San Fransisco.

Any advise gratefully received

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LAX to Escondido

Should be fine - from LAX you'll want to take the 405 freeway south. Eventually this will merge with Interstate 5 (I-5) heading south (follow signs to I-5 south). Later you'll come to an interchange between I-5 and 78. Follow the signs to 78 east. This will take you into Escondido.

Just to be safe, you may want to consider renting a Sat Nav / GPS with your car, or bringing your own if you have one and it has US maps on it.

Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LAX to Escondido

As MachThree mentions, you should be fine if you have GPS with your rental car, or even on your mobile phone. Just remember that Escondido is south of LA, towards San Diego, and San Francisco is north of LA. The drive should be a pleasant, no surprises one

Hadleigh, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LAX to Escondido

Thank you for your help. Just was concerned getting from Alamo to Interstate. Really looking forward to visiting california for the first time.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
65 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LAX to Escondido

are you by any chance staying at the Welk Resorts?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LAX to Escondido

Just ask when you pick up the car at Alamo how to reach the "405 South".

But to give you an idea, I believe when you pick up the car at Alamo and head onto the road, you'll be starting out on Aviation Blvd. You'll want to take that street south 2 major blocks to Century Blvd. Then you'll make a left turn to head east on Century Blvd. Just before you reach the 405 freeway, you'll come to La Cienega Blvd., and you'll make a right turn onto that street. A few hundred feet after that, you'll come to the entry ramp / onramp for the 405 south.

Once you're on the 405 south, the main thing to look out for will be interchanges to other freeways, which you'll come to periodically. You want to pay careful attention to the signs that indicate the lanes you'll want to remain in so that you continue on the 405 south instead of switching to another freeway or highway when you don't intend to.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LAX to Escondido

Highways in California are excellently signposted and give plenty of advance warning. At junctions the overhead signs will show which lane(s) to be in.

Getting onto I-405 at the airport and once on the freeway the signs will have the (405) symbol, "South", and either "Long Beach" or "San Diego" as the destination. Once past Long Beach the signs will all say San Diego.

About 70km from LAX in the city of Costa Mesa you will see a Hwy 73 toll road that also goes to San Diego. Not worth the toll unless there's a very bad traffic problem on I-405 or I-5.

Another 20km farther along in Irvine, I-405 merges into I-5 and there's really nothing to do as far as taking a ramp or exit.

Since you're doing this in the afternoon, the sun should be on your right or behind. If it's to the left or ahead you're going the wrong direction! But I'm sure that won't happen.

7. Re: LAX to Escondido

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2011, 04:17