We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malubu or Universal days to visit.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
429 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Malubu or Universal days to visit.

I have two days next month (Friday and Saturday). Which would be the best day to avoid congestion and crowds at Universal, and at Malibu (Getty Villa area) in particular??

I am staying in Hollywood for both nights.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malubu or Universal days to visit.

Friday would be better at both locations for avoiding crowds. Traffic in Malibu on Pacific Coast Highway can be bad either day, but its worse in early morning / late afternoon on Friday, and can be bad pretty much all day on Saturday.

Be advised if you are relying on public transportation its easy to reach Universal from Hollywood. The Getty Villa in Malibu would require two buses and then you should call ahead because they normally don't let you arrive to the Villa itself on foot, you need to make arrangements in advance.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,119 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malubu or Universal days to visit.

Also, the Getty Villa is not really in Malibu. It's on the way to Malibu, and across the street, basically, from the Malibu city limit, but not near the area you would normally visit if visiting Malibu. The only thing you would visit in that area is that museum. It's necessary to have a car if you want to continue on to Malibu itself, which is several miles north (about 10 miles). I would visit the Villa on Saturday, but call for a reservation.

Santa Monica is nearby, however, to the south.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
429 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malubu or Universal days to visit.

I will have a car.

How long would you leave to travel Sunset to the Getty Villa from around the Graumans theater area on a Saturday morning.

We would like to get there when it opens around 10:00.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,119 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malubu or Universal days to visit.

Leave at 9:15. Take Sunset Blvd the entire way, turning right on PCH. You'll see the Villa entrance within a minute, on your right.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,340 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malubu or Universal days to visit.

You must go online and reserve a parking space for the Getty Villa.

http://www.getty.edu/visit/hours/index.html

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malubu or Universal days to visit.

Keep in mind that weekends at Universal Studios next month have a very different schedule and pricing because of Halloween Horror Nights. The regular park closes very early and then reopens at 7pm to large crowds for Horror Nights. I've never been during to Universal during the daytime over Halloween season, but since Horror Nights pretty much takes over the whole park and parts of the tram tour I'm not sure how much of it is accessible during the day. If you enjoy Halloween and a good scare I recommend Horror Nights.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malubu or Universal days to visit.

Actually, all the local Theme Parks have very good designs and there is little impact to the "regular" day guests.

I am a bit more knowledgable about Knott's Halloween Haunt and Six Flags Magic Mountain Fright Fest that Halloween Horror Nights, but they all work in the same way.

What the parks do is place much of the "temporary" locations in the noraml backstage areas. Knott's has now three backstage buildings that are only open to guests during Haunt. Knott's only closes a few attractions, the Bumper Cars, the Children's Train, the Stage Coaches and the Balloon Ride. Six Flags closes just the Tidal Wave boat, which isn't that popular in Fall anyways.

Universal Studios also works in the same way. They have some parts of the tram tour that are rarely used, that they theme for Halloween, so during the day, the trams use the normal route, and then switch to Halloween pathways in the evening.

I am scheduled to go to all three events within a week in early October, so I can tell you more then. Last year, I only got to do Knott's, but it was a very fun year, as I got to be a "guest" monster for about a hour.

Hope that helps.

8. Re: Malubu or Universal days to visit.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2011, 06:54