We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

connect time from LAX to United Airline Domestic Terminal

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
connect time from LAX to United Airline Domestic Terminal

Hi,

I am travelling with my 7 months pregnant wife and a 2 yr old child to Las Vegas. I am planning to take the domestic flight operated by United Airlines from LAX to Las Vegas. I am arriving into LAX by China Airlines at 7.10pm and my domestic flight operated by United Airlines depart terminal 7/8 at 10.20pm on the same night. Can anyone kindly advise if the gap of about 3 hrs is enough to clear the immigration and security clearance and check in for my domestic flight? I heard it takes quite a long time to clear the custom check in LAX. Do they have any priority lane for families with children like some airports in the world?

Thank you

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: connect time from LAX to United Airline Domestic Terminal

OK, you will be arriving at the Tom Bradley International Terminal, one of 9 terminals at the airport. The easiest way to describe it is Terminal 3 and 1/2, as it is between Terminals 3 and 4. United operates out of Terminals 6, 7 and 8.

That is a good thing, as the free shuttle buses work from Terminal 1 to Terminal 8, so it will be a short trip. (The buses are easy to find on the lower level, just walk out of the terminal).

lawa.org/uploadedFiles/…terminalmap.pdf

I have never heard of any special lanes for familes at LAX to clear Customs.

As for the wait, it is a gamble, you might walk out in around 30 minutes, or it could be a multi-hour wait, no easy way to figure it out.

I think you should be OK, but there are never any guarantees.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: connect time from LAX to United Airline Domestic Terminal

Thank you for your reply.

I am just concerned that I might miss my flight and I don't want to be stranded in LAX after a 20 hrs long haul flight. I have heard just too many stories of the long waiting time for the security clearance in LAX. Does the domestic terminal for United Airlines in terminal 6/7/8 also conduct rigorous security clearance like the international terminal?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: connect time from LAX to United Airline Domestic Terminal

Oh yes, there is plenty of security, and sorry to say, you will leave the International Customs facility and then have to go through Security again. They try to make things move quickly, but they are not the fastest group in the world.

Here is a good link as to how to move through the Domestic Security Check faster.

tsa.gov/travelers/…screening_experience.shtm

Hope you have a great trip. Just make sure to leave some money for me in Las Vegas ;)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: connect time from LAX to United Airline Domestic Terminal

Thanks.

Ha Ha.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: connect time from LAX to United Airline Domestic Terminal

Its probably the last flight on United for the night. You might want to just get an airport hotel room and get an early morning flight to Vegas the next day, to be safe. Customs can be quick, can also take a few hours.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: connect time from LAX to United Airline Domestic Terminal

Thanks for all your advice.

Btw, does anyone knows if my arrival on 23/11 (tuesday) @7.05pm to LAX by China Airlines is considered as peak or offpeak period? I understand from somewhere that it is an offpeak period so clearing the customs might be faster?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: connect time from LAX to United Airline Domestic Terminal

It would pretty much be impossible to say - even if yours is the only flight scheduled to arrive in that terminal around that time, which I doubt, your flight or other flights could arrive early or be delayed, and that's pretty much unpredictable.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: connect time from LAX to United Airline Domestic Terminal

Unfortunately it's a pretty busy time for international arrivals from Asia as well as some from Europe. There is no special "family" lane at Immigration / Customs, although there are lanes for US citizens and non-citizens. Like most other airports worldwide the non-citizen lines go slower but they adjust the ratio based on the queues.

The good news is it's an off-peak time for domestic flights and UA shouldn't be too busy. Is your entire trip to LAS on one ticket? If so, check your luggage all the way through. You will claim your bags on arrival at LAX, clear customs, then immediately put them on a belt for transfer to the UA flight. (Before you put them on the transfer belt make sure the UA flight has not been cancelled and you're sure you will make your connection. Otherwise you may have trouble retrieving your luggage if you need to stay at LA overnight).

The other advantage of one ticket is the international baggage allowance will apply. Otherwise you will have to pay the UA baggage fee of $25+ per checked bag for the LAX-LAS flight.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: connect time from LAX to United Airline Domestic Terminal

Thank you.

Unfortunately my ticket is not on one ticket so I have to collect my luggage and check in again at the UA counters. How far is it to walk from the international terminal to the UA domestic terminal?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: connect time from LAX to United Airline Domestic Terminal

With luggage it would be a longish walk past terminals 4, 5, and probably 6. United has departures from Terminals 6, 7, and 8, but mostly 7. I would do it, but maybe not if I had lots of luggage.