We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Channel Islands - Best Way to See the Area?

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Channel Islands - Best Way to See the Area?

My husband, twenty-five year old daughter, and myself are planning to visit the LA area in late December. May I have suggestions as to the best way to see the Channel Islands? We have read of a North Shore Cruise around Santa Cruz but prefer to get suggestions from our fellow, Trip Advisors.

Also, where would we start any trip(s) to see the island(s)?

Will we be lucky enough to see whales at this time of the year?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,981 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Channel Islands - Best Way to See the Area?

December is good whale-watching time near Channel Islands. We've only been once and we did see whales, it was amazing.

Island Packers, out of both Channel Islands Harbor in Oxnard and Ventura Harbor in Ventura offer both island tours and whale watching tours:

www.islandpackers.com/schedulewhales.html

There are, I think, other concessions (the National Parks page lists them, I think), but Island Packers has a good reputation and competitive pricing.

Both Harbors are nice and have eateries around, but Ventura is perhaps more tourist oriented. Both have sandy beaches nearby and various accomodations (the Mandalay in Oxnard is very nice, there are a couple of larger chain hotels near the harbor in Ventura, as well). As far as what to do in the evenings, Ventura has a livelier downtown and restaurant scene, although Old Town Oxnard has revived and has quite a few restaurants, a bit like being in a Mexican beach town.

2. Re: Channel Islands - Best Way to See the Area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2011, 05:34