We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Los Angeles - between flights

Sydney, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Los Angeles - between flights

Hi, I am due to arrive in to LA next Friday morning about 6.30am. My flight to Boston doesn't leave until 12.45pm. Anyone got any suggestions as to what I can do to fill in the time?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Los Angeles - between flights

Are your bags checked through to your final destination? (both airlines have a baggage agreement?)

If so you could catch the Flyaway Express $5 bus to the Westwood neighborhood near uCla. Have breakfast at a village cafe and then check out the campus, browse the bookstore, visit the botanical gardens, kill some time. You'd have to take the 11:30am flyaway back to the airport.

Or, there are Starline tours that pick up at airport hotels at around 8:30 in the morning. A two hour tour of Hollywood might get you back to the airport area in time for your flight.... You'd arrange for Starline to pick you up that morning at the LAX Hilton or Sheraton, then from your airport terminal catch that hotel's shuttle bus to the hotel.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Los Angeles - between flights

Another thought would be to take a short taxi ride to the pier in Manhattan Beach. Have breakfast at the kettle hang out on the beach, rent bicycles etc.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Los Angeles - between flights

Once you get off the plane, walk to immigration, clear customs it'll be about 8am .. if you're flight is on time.

Then you need to check your bag in for your next flight -- so say you will be free by 8.30am ...

You need to check in for the next flight by at least 10.45, so that gives you two hours.

Coupla choices ... get a cab to Westfield's Fox Hills Mall - about 15mins away, or cab it to Santa Monica to see the famous Pier and the shopping and restaurants there. The cab there will be about 25 mins.

Don't be late for security and check in for the next flight -- the queues can be quite long.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
400 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Los Angeles - between flights

I have six hours in the afternoon on a Sunday. Are the shops open on Sunday and until how late?

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Los Angeles - between flights

coatesgirl- Yes, all retail stores and services are open Sunday. That's especially true with our economic problems; stores can't afford to turn away customers.

Hours depend on the type of store...malls and department stores will be open 10am-6pm, while stand-alone "big box" stores such as Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and Target will be open til 9 or 10pm.

Now, if you plan to visit after Thanksgiving, then it's holiday shopping season and stores will be on extended hours....many until midnight.

It definitely helps to check luggage all the way to your destination if possible. There is no luggage storage at LAX and that can present a problem. Also, the international baggage allowance will apply to the domestic segment in both directions; if the bag is not checked through (often due to 2 separate tickets), then the checked bag fee is charged (about $25 per bag on most airlines, a few are free).

Edited: 18 September 2010, 08:34
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
400 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Los Angeles - between flights

Thanks. Early December and thought I would get Xmas presents. Not wanting chain stores ( my baggage checked through) Where should I go?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Los Angeles - between flights

Westfield Fox Hills Mall is the closest I know of to the airport -- a 15 minute cab ride away.

Have a look at their website to see the location (or Google Maps) - and their store directory.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,693 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Los Angeles - between flights

Coatesgirl, for more local and unique stores I'd catch a cab to Main Street, Santa Monica, which would be under a half hour from LAX.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
400 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Los Angeles - between flights

excellent

10. Re: Los Angeles - between flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2011, 05:28