We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day LA layover-where to stay near airport and what to do?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
philadelphia
Level Contributor
743 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
1 day LA layover-where to stay near airport and what to do?

Hi, guys. Ok this is the situation....my fiance and I fly out of L.A. on a redeye to Tahiti, and we definitely don't want to do our trip all in one day. We live in philly; so we'd like to fly out to L.A. the day before and hang out for a day then head to airport the next evening for our flight. Any suggestions on what to do and where to stay? Thanks in advance for any info!!! :)

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,947 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day LA layover-where to stay near airport and what to do?

What is your budget for the hotel for that one night?

Will you have a car?

What interests you about LA that you want to see?

Read our FAQs at the top of the LA Forums topics list, especially the Where to STay and What to Do FAQ, where we have one day sample itineraries.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
743 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day LA layover-where to stay near airport and what to do?

Likely we wont rent a car for just one day. I will check out the LA FAQ,s per your recommendation. thx

Culver City...
Level Contributor
702 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day LA layover-where to stay near airport and what to do?

The Inn at Playa del Rey is a really nice place to stay. It's only about 10 minutes to LAX and you can walk to the beach. For tourist stuff, I'd say it's pretty well located - as good as you can get if you stay near the beach. Breakfast is delish! The BEST chocolate chip cookies in the world! Free bikes, free parking. And the staff is really nice and helpful, too.

Get one of the rooms that looks out over the marsh - very romantic.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day LA layover-where to stay near airport and what to do?

I second the Inn at Playa Del Rey ...

www.innatplayadelrey.com

Go for it ...

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day LA layover-where to stay near airport and what to do?

With no car you'll want to stay somewhere with good public transportation access. So while I agree that the Inn at Playa Del Rey is very nice, public transportation-wise its not so good. There's only one bus that runs near there, Metro Bus 115, and since that bus itself doesn't really go anywhere interesting, you'd likely be looking at at least two buses to reach anywhere of interest, and probably 3 or 4 for some trips, which could be very time consuming depending on where you want to go.

That being said, if you do decide to rent a car, its a perfectly fine location albeit not as central as it could be, but it would depend on your itinerary.

I think best thing for you to do is decide what you'd like to do in your one day, and what you can realistically achieve that day, and then chose a hotel with a location convenient to whatever those things happen to be. With a red-eye flight you don't necessarily need to stay close to the airport at all.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,914 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day LA layover-where to stay near airport and what to do?

I assume you've never been to L.A. It sounds like you arrive the morning one day and fly out the evening the next day.

Given your limited time, I'd recommend renting a car. The Inn at Playa del Rey sounds fine for your purposes. Otherwise, a place in Santa Monica near the beach is another good idea. Santa Monica is very welcoming for first-time visitors to wander about.

The day you arrive, head to The Getty Center. This will impress you. Even if you don't care for museums, go. It is one of the city's most successful public spaces. Lunch on the patio will be a pleasant experience as you decompress from your red-eye. Thereafter, check into your hotel for a nap. You should find dinner in Santa Monica another pleasant time. The next day, you can idly explore Santa Monica.

The point of my recommendation is to give you a strong impression of Los Angeles and inspire you to plan a proper return trip.

HTH

HTH

philadelphia
Level Contributor
743 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day LA layover-where to stay near airport and what to do?

thanks for all the info, guys! HitchKennedy...what is 'HTH'???

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,914 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 day LA layover-where to stay near airport and what to do?

Hope that helps.

Looks like a typo from my iPhone with the double entry. Oops!

Edited: 29 September 2010, 06:57
9. Re: 1 day LA layover-where to stay near airport and what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2011, 07:17