We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What ID to take?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,058 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
What ID to take?

My 25 year old son flies off to LA later this week. He doesn't intend hiring a car a car, as he'll be staying with his friends families, but will probably want to go out for a beer...or two.

Given the law regarding drinking alcohol, what sort of ID should he bring? Would a UK driver's licence be ok, or a copy of his passport. Can't see him wanting to take his actual passport out with him for a night on the tiles, mainly as he may lose it somewhere.

Any suggestions?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,808 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What ID to take?

He will have to take his actual passport to get a drink. It's a very common practice, and a copy of the passport will not be accepted.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,058 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What ID to take?

Yogachik

Many thanks for your prompt reply. Seems he may be having more nights in with the lads than he'd intended!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,808 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What ID to take?

Why should he curtail his nights? He'll just have to be responsible. I don't understand the idea of not going out just because he might lose his passport. At 25, he'll know not to.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What ID to take?

Until recently, driver's licenses were acceptable ID but passports were not. ID had to include a photo, a way to determine age, *and* physical description. US passports did not contain the latter and weren't acceptable. (Can't speak to other countrys' passports). However, passports are now acceptable: pillsburylaw.com/siteFiles/Publications/1C8B…

That said, his DL is still stronger ID than the passport; he might want to bring both on his first time out and any bartender or server will be able to advise him...they are kept current as regs change. Taverns and stores are constantly checked by undercover inspectors and heavily fined for violations. They don't risk it and err on the side of caution. (Anyone meeting me will realize I'm obviously way past 21 but I had to produce ID yesterday at a store....I wasn't sure whether to be annoyed or flattered!)

5. Re: What ID to take?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2011, 07:22