We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eating in Los angeles

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
eating in Los angeles

If you could have only one meal either lunch or dinner in Los Angeles what would you choose?

My husband and I want experience where the real people of LA eat not some touristy restaurant ,we will have car so transport is not aproblem and would e prepared to drive an hour each way as we like to sight see on the way, our budget is mid range we are not looking to buy the restaurant just a nice decent meal that we will hopefully remember for years to come.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eating in Los angeles

Your question is just too broad to answer. It's like me asking if I go to Australia, name ONE restaurant I should go to.

LA is huge, extremely diverse, every ethnic cuisine you can think of, and has countless restaurants that are excellent.

If you want a memorable meal you'll also need to upgrade from your mid-range requirement.

Dr. Z

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,781 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: eating in Los angeles

What kind of food? What kind of atmosphere? What is your budget? What part of LA?

There are many restaurants that I would consider memorable, none of them are mid-range. Spago, Wilshire, Providence, Rivera, Bouchon, Cut, Gjelina, Melisse, Lucques...

Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: eating in Los angeles

Agree with the others. Your question is a continent wide. Please be specific in what kind of cuisine this would be for and what is "mid-range" budget specifically for you? Los Angeles is huge, and has many many cuisines from many influences in and outside of the city area. Hell, one hour drive from the city in any direction gives an even bigger choice of eateries and influences...narrowing it down to one will be like picking which supermodel out of the ones in L.A to ask out on a date to see a Lakers game; pretty hard choice.

So please be specific to your query; some of the memorable meals I've had here had little to do with price at all. Just a thought there.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: eating in Los angeles

Sorry for asking such an open question ,but that is exactly what we are looking for ,something we do not know about,

But to give some insight into us we are from Sydney we love good food of any kind ,but we prefer something uniquley American ie not Thai or Chinese or Indian which we can have in abundance in Sydney and which we truly love also preferably not seafood another thing that we canhave anytime we like ,I agree chocpenguin ,money does not always buy the greatest experience ,so think of us as some friends you are showing around LA ,what is the first place that YOU would love to take them too ,we want to see the real LA ,also we will not have children with us ,we are in our mid 40's ,money is not really an issue for something that we may only get to do once so lets set a price of up to $500 for dinner ,I hope this helps ,we have been to the States and did not research resturants and that was the one thing that we do not have fond memeories of as most of the places we went to where spur of the moment

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,781 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: eating in Los angeles

I'd say that the restaurants I listed would be the most memorable and be first on my list to take an out of town guest. Spago is always perfect, and Gjelina is my favorite restaurant in LA (and truly unique to LA) but you should go to yelp.com to read about each place I listed. Also post this question on chowhound.com

Edited: 28 October 2010, 00:10
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: eating in Los angeles

well, I can tell you where I take visitors and why. usually I take them to Monte Alban, a Mexican restaurant that offers cuisine from Oaxaca. why Mexican? well, first of all Los Angeles was born as a Mexican city: Mexican culture and people still shape everyday life in the city, so a Mexican restaurant seems historically appropriate. why this particular one? of course one reason is that the food is really excellent (if you research it you will find tons of positive reviews) (also, my partner is from Mexico and this is one of the few places I can drag him to ...). but there are other important reasons. the restaurant is in one of those ubiquitous and anonymous mini-malls to typical of LA, and unless you know is there you would probably not even see it, since there is nothing remarkable from the outside. this means that, although it is reasonably well known, you will not find many tourists there, especially since it is few miles from the beach and from the more glitzy area of santa monica. it is very inexpensive, so it is a place where people in the neighborhood can go quite often. inside the place is really cute and warm, but not fancy, and the people who run it are really friendly, so the dining experience is always very pleasant. I take my friends there because they want to know how we live our everyday life, and this is a place where we go on those evenings when we do not feel like cooking but we do not want to do anything expensive or special and we want to stop at the store on the way home. this to me comes as close it can be to a "real LA" experience.

if you want to remain on a Mexican theme there is always "El Mercadito" in Boyle Heights, where plenty of regular folks go (mostly hispanic). however it is not in the prettiest or safest part of town and I am not sure whether it is a good recommendation for you. you can research it on the web and if you are interested let me know, maybe we can take you there. there are other places where I take my friends but I have used up my work break, so I have to cut it here, may I can come back to it later.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: eating in Los angeles

You want Americana? Just go to Pink's Hot Dogs or In N Out Burger. Can't get any more American than that.

california
Level Contributor
893 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: eating in Los angeles

If there is only one restaurant to eat in LA, its got to be King Taco. Real people eat there..not tourist. Very authentic Mexican food. You could even order Beef Brain

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,016 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: eating in Los angeles

You might head over to the Farmer's Market and eat at one of the many restaurants there.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: eating in Los angeles

Im an adventure guide here in LA. Like the other person said, we hav close o 12 million people and growing, what's that, half of Oz? The thing that is trending now is the best fish taco in Ensenada, on Hillhurst. Don't believe me? Just google "best fish taco Ensenada" without the quotes. Another favorite of my pax and myself that is very reasonable is Buddhas Belly (3 locations bev hills, across from Farmer's mkt, santa monica). It's Asian fusion, with a flair of health. Their curry chicken served with rice and untraditionally, and healthy, is the broccoli, and eggplant it's made with, 8.95! Or, their Ahi Tuna Burger (not Blue Fin) served with sweet potato fries, is amazing--12.95. Much more and also has a couple of Vegan dishes and has a very high rating for it. We like to search out foods that are unique, tasty, and matching of our budget. It is an adventure in and of itself. But tired is the whole stereotype that all our food is greasy and fast. What culture do you want to try? How about soul, and don't say chick and waffles. Good luck!