We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hilton checkers los angeles

MAURITIUS
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
hilton checkers los angeles

will be our first time in los angeles in dec this year around christmas time - how is hilton checkers hotel in terms of location (we would like to be near public transportation, metro buses etc) and in terms of quality

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hilton checkers los angeles

Yes, its location is fine and its a nice hotel. And, there is extensive public transportation nearby, including a subway station a little over a block away at Pershing Square. Check www.metro.net for planning trips on public transportation (the trip planner is on the right side of the page, about half way down).

However, in terms of location, you may be able to do better elsewhere, depending on your specific itinerary - downtown LA really isn't in the center of the city, especially with regards to the parts of the city that contain the most popular tourist attractions - it is somewhat to the east so trips on public transportation to many places will be a bit more time consuming than might be strictly necessary - depending of course on where you are headed. Hollywood (near Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave.) is another area you can stay in with great public transportation access that is a bit closer to many of the tourist attractions.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,960 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hilton checkers los angeles

Take a look at our FAQs section -- a link at the top of the TOPIC LIST. There, you will find a wealth of info relating to your questions:

1. A 'cartoon map' of the greater L.A. area showing where each neighborhood is located.

2. Descriptions of the most popular neighborhoods

3. Instructions on how to look up reviews on hotels (and getting competing offers for these hotels).

4. Detailed public transit info.

5. Airport transfer info.

Here's a link to the FAQs (link and scroll down):

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32655-i61-k376846…

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hilton checkers los angeles

It's a good location for public transit. e.g. subway to Hollywood, Universal; express bus to Santa Monica; subway to Union Station, then trains to Anaheim, Pasadena and some other locations.

However, downtown itself is still not an ideal walking area for tourists and still tends to be deserted at night compared to say Manhattan or San Francisco and other cities. Many on this forum recommend Hollywood which is a better walking area for tourists, but not quite as good for public transit.

See www.metro.net for transit info. Also www.bigbluebus.com for Santa Monica bus (#10) Also amtrak and www.metrolinktrains.com for other transit.

Edited: 28 October 2010, 21:53
Coronado, California
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: hilton checkers los angeles

Not sure when fromdelmar was last in Downtown L.A., but downtown is hopping these days.

Checkers is where we stay usually. It is a great hotel with a nice rooftop pool. We also like the Biltmore, Omni and the new JW Marriott.

The JW puts you a bit more down by LA Live and Staples, but we are usually in LA for the opera or theater and Checkers is better for that. Checkers is also across the street from the Water Grill which is one of our favorite places to eat in L.A.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hilton checkers los angeles

Lots of great restaurants now downtown LA way better than for example Beverly Hills. A good place to stay around the holidays, between the Christmas decoration, ice rinks, holiday performances at Disney/Music Center and good hotel rates.

www.downtownnews.com for what's on.

Also central to public transportation, eg 15-20 minutes Metro to Hollywood, 5 minutes to Union Station, Metro to Pasadena (Rose Parade),etc.

As far as it is "central" it depends on what you want to see, doesn't it?

Edited: 28 October 2010, 22:16
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hilton checkers los angeles

If downtown L.A. is "hopping" compared to Manhattan and San Francisco, why do so many on this forum recommend Hollywood?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,567 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hilton checkers los angeles

>>>If downtown L.A. is "hopping" compared to Manhattan and San Francisco, why do so many on this forum recommend Hollywood?<<<

Who was comparing Downtown L.A. to Manhattan or SF?

And when DID you last stay in Downtown L.A.?

So many on this forum recommend Hollywood out of habit or ignorance. While Holly wood has gotten nicer, it still isn't a great place.

How come so few recommend Pasadena or Burbank as alternatives? The same reasons as above.

Hollywood might be right for some people, but not most is my take.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hilton checkers los angeles

I did. I said downtown is still not an ideal walking area compared to Manhattan or San Francisco. People who have not been to Los Angeles might think the downtown area is a very good tourist walking area comparable to those cities.

You're right that I haven't been to LA in a number of months now and haven't stayed downtown in a few years. I agree that Pasadena is "hopping" but not ideally located for public transit. I will make it a future point to check out downtown in the evening to see if it is now a good walking area for tourists (other than the fact that it is so convenient for public transit).

Edited: 31 October 2010, 00:53
san diego
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: hilton checkers los angeles

Would this be a good hotel to stay in if my daughter and I need to get to a tour at USC at 8:00 am on a weekday morning? Any other hotels to recommend that are nice but somewhat convenient to USC? Thanks!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hilton checkers los angeles

Yes, this hotel would work well. There are plenty of nice hotels in downtown LA that will work - The Omni, the JW Marriott, the old downtown LA Marriott, the Bonaventure, the Biltmore, the LA Athletic Club, the downtown Sheraton among others. There's also a Raddisson right next to USC but the other hotels are generally nicer, IMHO.