We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Channel Island - Boat Tour Only VS Going Ashore

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Channel Island - Boat Tour Only VS Going Ashore

I would like opinions as to whether Trip advisor like boat excursion only trips around the Channel Islands or ones that go ashore. In addition, are the waters quieter in the morning. We will be there the latter part of December and hope to also sea gray whales as we leave the main land. What do you think?

LA Waterfront Cruises
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Fishing Charters & Tours
UNIQ Yacht Charters
Boat Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Boat Hire, Private Tours, Speed Boats Tours
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
236 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Channel Island - Boat Tour Only VS Going Ashore

I would definitely opt for going ashore! Anacapa has a nice little visitor center and a thrilling ladder climb to get on the island. The other islands are more primitive and not much different than they were 100 or 1000 years ago.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
236 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Channel Island - Boat Tour Only VS Going Ashore

It will be cold and windy on the boat and on the islands. Be sure to plan for that since you will be out in it for a long while. Layered tops, warm pants, warm hats, etc.

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Channel Island - Boat Tour Only VS Going Ashore

qazwsx, how dangerous is the thrilling ladder climb? My husband might have difficulty climbing it.

So. Cal
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Channel Island - Boat Tour Only VS Going Ashore

There are around 150 steps. If you are somewhat concerned, it may not be such a good idea. My Grandpa was able to do it, but I think his struggle made him feel uncomfortable, which made me feel sad.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
236 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Channel Island - Boat Tour Only VS Going Ashore

Oh, I guess in a large boat you only need to climb the stairs. We dinghy'd in and when you do that you have to go up a ladder from the dinghy and then winch in your dinghy. Here is a video showing people getting off what I would presume is an Island Packer boat - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnasBGVRWuk

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Channel Island - Boat Tour Only VS Going Ashore

boats to the channel islands usually dock in Ventura Harbor or Santa Barbara, not LA.

LA boats usually just go to Catalina, which is much closer. They leave from Long Beach and San Pedro mostly.

And the time of day isn't as big a factor in wave size as is the size of the swell that's running. Check the marine forecast for that.

7. Re: Channel Island - Boat Tour Only VS Going Ashore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2011, 05:18