We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The FAQs are getting a facelift. We need your help!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,214 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
The FAQs are getting a facelift. We need your help!

It's time to update the FAQs. Please respond with any inaccuracies you've uncovered and any suggestions for expanding it or making enhancements.

Thanks, everybody!

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The FAQs are getting a facelift. We need your help!

I got a suggestion, a sticky for Trip Reports, so then there's a whole thread dedication to TR, there an indispensable source for trip planning and with the effect people put into writing them, they shouldn't get buried deep into pages after a few days.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,988 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The FAQs are getting a facelift. We need your help!

By the FAQs, do you mean the "top questions" in the upper right hand column of the forum?

I do think that there are a few items that should be added to the column.

They are not specific to the City of Los Angeles, but do pertain and come up repeatedly in questions from visitors to the greater LA area.

One is, "What is the PCH/Pacific Coast Highway"? There are huge misunderstandings as to what that is, as shown by the folks who plan to drive it to San Diego or San Francisco.

I think a topic that would be a great addition would be "The beaches of LA"-- and I'd include info about Orange County beaches as well. We are so unusual in having hundreds of miles of sand at our doorstep-- and figuring out which beach is best for their purposes is a frequent subject that comes up. Sometimes, unfortunately, it comes up in a complaint after the fact, when a trip report mentions disappointment with the grottiness of Venice Beach, or the crowds near Santa Monica pier. So, a fairly detailed decription of the character of Venice, Zuma, Topanga, Will Rogers, Manhattan, Huntington Beach, Laguna, etc, and the distinctions between them, might be really helpful.

Also-- how about a guide to the museums and gardens of LA.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,214 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The FAQs are getting a facelift. We need your help!

Thanks for the idea, em.

The New York City Forum has been including Trip Reports for several years. The challenge to posting these is deciding which ones to post. Not only does the quality of the reports vary but L.A. and the greater metro area is so diverse that the TR's can vary quite a bit from one another. Even in New York City where many visitors tend to go to the same things, they've divided the TRs into different categories based upon marital status and whether the posters were traveling with children, alone or with another, as follows:

Couples

Families with teenagers

Families with young kids

Adult relatives traveling together

Adult friends traveling together

Solo travelers

I'm not certain that this is the best way and/or whether there should be a delineation between people who focused on theme parks or beaches or some other measure. I'm open to suggestions and I'd love to have some volunteers who will read the TRs and make recommendations. To assemble them into a thread on the FAQs requires that the url for each TR be copied and pasted into a new FAQs page, a time-consuming process even without all of the reading and categorization.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,214 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The FAQs are getting a facelift. We need your help!

Pasca, the FAQs originated as a 'sticky' (a post that never moves down the page) at the very top of the list of Topics on the Los Angeles Forum home page. L.A. was among the first destination on TA to have a FAQs. As time went on, TA decided to make this capability 'built in" so they created the "Top Questions..." link at the right side of the page. As we had already created a FAQs, we, initially, created content (questions) in the "Top Questions" section that simply link to each of our FAQs. Since then, there have been other contributions to the "Top Questions" that have been independent of the FAQs.

The major distinction between the two sections is that the Destination Experts, Alex90028, CAnative, HopSkipJump, MachThree, mlgb, and yogachik are the gatekeepers of the FAQs (although Alex hasn't been heard from much, lately) whereas anyone can contribute to the "Top Questions"

Your ideas about PCH and the beaches are great. If you'd like to contribute some content or point us to some existing content that we can (ahem) borrow, that would help a lot. The FAQs are a lot of work. I've spent a lifetime upgrading the "Arrival/Departure Transportation" section which lists and describes all of the city bus, rail, metro rail, van, car rental, taxi, 'special bus' and 'other' transfer options between the 5 airports, 6 major neighborhoods, 2 cruise ports and 2 rail stations. It's a lot of work and each time the bus fare changes or Metro cancels a bus or metro rail route, all of the content has to be updated.

So, as far as fixing existing mistakes, I'm down; as far as new content is concerned, I'm going to need some help.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The FAQs are getting a facelift. We need your help!

A popular topic lately is the definition of the term "Los Angeles".

Maybe a detailed description of what the "City" of LA is, what LA County is, including differences such as Hollywood and West Hollywood, and the Greater Los Angeles Area, which, IMHO, many out of town poster are thinking about.

So basic descriptions of why they are different, such as Santa Monica being in the county of LA, and the fact that Anaheim, even though its baseball team is called the "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" is not located in LA County, but in Orange County, part of the Greater LA area.

For a lot of "out of town" folks, it would help let them get to specific cities forums to ask more detailed questions.

And I am happy to volunteer to help re-write the "Theme Park" FAQ, since that is supposed to be where I am a "expert".

Edited: 07 January 2011, 04:41
Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The FAQs are getting a facelift. We need your help!

Unfortunately, HSJ, you're likely in for another round of revising transit information. As you probably know, Metro has proposed a new round of service cuts, including some lines that are of interest to many visitors, but the final outcome won't be known for a couple of months.

Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The FAQs are getting a facelift. We need your help!

I can help with the public transit things in the city and sports things too :).

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,214 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The FAQs are getting a facelift. We need your help!

Thank you all. The easiest way to contribute content is to include it in this thread. If you want to make revisions of existing content, just cut it out of the existing FAQs, paste it into your word processor, and then cut-and-paste the result into this thread. Be sure to label what it is!!

Dark, the task of describing what L.A. means is a daunting one. We've gone 1/2 way by highlighting some L.A, neighborhoods (and neighboring cities, e.g. Santa Monica) by describing them and then posting this map as a way of tying together the whole SoCal community:

…flickr.com/2695/4304287666_3f60e03695_o.jpg

(I know the map falls short of what we need but it's a lot better than not having anything. Every other 'travel map' out there has "street map" detail which we don't need or want when we're trying to give an overview of such a vast area. If anyone knows of a 'cartoon-style' map that would include areas from L.A. to San Diego (maybe, also including Valencia), please post it here. Or, if anyone is good at drawing maps, go for it. (Maybe, we should include the major coastal cities going north to SF, inclusive). (Sigh).

Here's a peek at the NYC Forum's FAQs section:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1948627…

We can't let them make us look bad, can we? No, we can't!

(Those people just won't stop improving their FAQs section. What's next, an entire website for the TA NYC FAQs?)

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,214 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The FAQs are getting a facelift. We need your help!

Please add any content for the FAQs in this thread. You can also correct/update existing content by cutting and pasting it into your word processor, making the changes and pasting the result here.

I'd like to get the update done by the end of the month,

Thanks, everyone!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,282 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The FAQs are getting a facelift. We need your help!

During my research for our summer trip to Los Angeles, I have been looking for local chain restaurants and fast food places that are more affordable, decent quality and that may have a real California or Los Angeles feel to it.

As a tourist, trying to find a few good places is overwhelming, maybe a FAQ bringing together a number of posts that discuss restaurants that are not the top chef restaurants, but good meal restaurants! Affordable and budget ideas too. have no clue where to go for an casual family meal (under $15pp) that is a local LA place. In-N-Out Burger is well known example, but what about Mexican, Pizza, Seafood, etc. I got some good advice on a recent post.

Just an idea. Thanks for all the help so far from everyone on the forum.