We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early morning Hollywood to LAX

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
89 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Early morning Hollywood to LAX

Hi everyone

I'll be staying a few days in Hollywood and will need to be at LAX by 8.30 am for my onward flight.

Options to ensure I get to the airport that I have come up with are

a. metro to Union Station then on to LAX by metro

b. metro to Union Station then FlyAway

c. Prime Time shuttle

d. leaving Hollywood a day early for a hotel closer to LAX

I'm aware that it's not the best time of day to be travelling on public transport or on the roads and I just want to make sure I'm at the airport on time.

All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early morning Hollywood to LAX

Option a doesn't really make sense, it would be a long trip on the other Metro lines. If you want to do it on transit, option B will work fine, and all the services will be running. If you want to give yourself plenty of time, you can take the 6:30 am Flyaway bus, which should get you to LAX by 7:15. The next bus is at 6:50. To catch the 6:30 Flyaway, you'll want to catch the 5:55 Red Line train at Hollywood/Highland, gets into Union Station at 6:16. The next train is at 6:07, arriving 6:28, which wouldn't give you enough time to make the transfer to the 6:30, but would work for the 6:50.

Option C seems fine, more money, quicker.

Option D would be OK,. but I'd say rather than staying in the depressing LAX area, stay in Santa Monica. You can get a Big Blue Bus (Santa Monica Municipal Bus Lines) to the airport, or it would be a shorter shuttle or taxi ride. You'd get a night in Santa Monica that way, which would be a good thing.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,535 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early morning Hollywood to LAX

A is not practical.

B is a lot of hassle so early in the morning (imo)

C is more expensive than A & B and it's not necessarily faster since the van can stop at a number of other hotels to pick up passengers who may or may night be immediately ready; further, the van might go a little 'out of the way' to pick up some passengers;

D. Most practical. Spend the early evening in Hollywood and head for the airport area around 9 or so. By the time you arrive at the LAX hotel, it will be ready to jump into bed. The following morning, take the 5 or 10 minute free shuttle to LAX. In addition to this being the least stressful option, you'll have the longest sleep using this option -- something you might appreciate during the long flight home

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early morning Hollywood to LAX

Depends if you are staying in a Hollywood hotel or motel that will securely store your baggage for you all day on your final day so that you can spend you final day in Hollywood or thereabouts instead of heading to your airport hotel early.

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
89 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early morning Hollywood to LAX

Thanks to those who took the time to reply. I'll take the advice and check out of the Hollywood hotel a day early, then find somewhere closer to LAX for a night. I would have been there for a week anyway. I'll be flying on to Miami which I also enjoy.

I've stayed in the Hollywood area before and enjoyed it very much and recommend it.

arlington, va
Level Contributor
264 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early morning Hollywood to LAX

I'm doing much the same thing in a few months. Is the 754 bus (Sunset and Vermont) to and from the Green line safe at night at early in the morning? It seems like such a direct route on the "express" #754 bus and I wouldn't have to schlep my bags between transportation modes.

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early morning Hollywood to LAX

karen, I don't think the green line goes all the way to the airport, that's the problem. There is another connection to make when you get off the greenline. The best way is to hook up with a Flyaway bus which will take you right to the airport terminal. Depending on where you are staying, the Flyaway bus can be reached by taking the metro underground to Union Station, or by taking a bus to Westwood/UCLA.

arlington, va
Level Contributor
264 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early morning Hollywood to LAX

Thanks. I guess what I'm trying to do is give myself maximum options so my real question is whether or not it's safe to stand at 7:30-7:45 pm, at the #754 bus stop on Vermont, at the Green Line station, to wait for the bus. What do you think? Safe? Or should I take that option off my list?

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Early morning Hollywood to LAX

I can't speak to the Vermont Green Line station, but you are unlikely to have a problem at Vermont & Sunset. Early in the morning there will probably be lots of people coming to work at the hospitals.

If you haven't already, check the 754 schedule from Sunset to the Green Line, I think it's a pretty long ride, even on the Rapid. This approach gives you a "three seat" ride to LAX, although the last leg, the shuttle ride, is pretty short. The Red Line to Union Station, followed by the Flyaway bus would be a faster two seat ride. Check the LA Metro Trip Planner for its routing and travel times.

arlington, va
Level Contributor
264 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Early morning Hollywood to LAX

Thanks. I've spent a lot of time on the transit websites and have printed the schedules I'll need. I'm sure you're right that Vermont and Sunset should be a busy place. I'm more concerned with Vermont and the Green Line connection since the stop is on a streetconer on the NE corner of Vermont. I've Google mapped it and it looks a little desolate, but, then again, there wouldn't be a stop in the middle of nowhere (lol - probably doesn't exist anywhere in LA).

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Early morning Hollywood to LAX

Honestly, I think you'll *feel* safer taking the Red Line to Union Station and the FlyAway to the airport from there. The 754 / Green Line combo should be perfectly safe but yes waiting at that Green Line station and being on the train there won't inspire too much confident for a lone female traveller after dark.