We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in LA with a toddler?

Italy
Level Contributor
131 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in LA with a toddler?

Hi all,

first of all my congratulations for the enormous amount of information that can be found in the FAQ posts, I think I've never seen such detailed information in any forum...

So I did my homework reading most of them, I would like to have a confirmation regarding which part of LA is more suitable to stay by night given the followings:

- Period of stay, 4 nights, 3 full days.

- We arrive in LAX in the afternoon and LA is our first destination of our journey.

- After 4 nights in LA we will move to Sequia NP

- We are going to stay from May 18th until May 22nd.

- We are two adults and a toddler of 23 months by that time

- Our three days itinerary will involve one day for the highlights, one day for the beaches, one day for Disneyworld.

- We have a rented car for all our stay, picked up in LAX

- Budget for hotel is possibly no more than 150-180 dollars.

I was thinking about Beverly Hills, does it make sense?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion/advice.

Cheers.

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in LA with a toddler?

Residence Inn Manhattan Beach, this will put you close to the beach and out of traffic on beach day, fairly decent compromise location between Anaheim and seeing the Hollywood/Beverly Hills sights. I don't think there's anything in Bev Hills at your price range, plus Residence Inn has no parking charge and free full breakfast. The inn will even shop for you if you need diapers or food in the room on arrival.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,849 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in LA with a toddler?

Don't stay in Manhattan Beach, you'll be in your car too much.

Look at Magic Castle Hotel or Celebrity Hollywood or Orchid Suites. Hollywood and West Hollywood are more convenient. Beverly Hills is fine, but where are you thinking of staying.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in LA with a toddler?

OK, first off, I hope you are planning to visit the Disneyland Resort, as Disneyworld is thousands of miles away in Florida (East Coast of the US).

OK, so one day in the city of Anaheim, which is Orange County (part of the Greater Los Angeles area) but still a drive of an hour or so from the Downtown LA/Beverly Hills area, maybe a bit longer.

You don't mention "Which" beach, there are plenty in the Orange County area near Disneyland, for kids I like the Balboa Pier area, near Newport Beach.

And the third day is highlights, what are you looking for? Shopping, once again, near Disneyland there is one of the best upscale malls in the nation with South Coast Plaza.

Here is a link to the Orange County Tourism site...

www.visittheOC.com

As for Hotels, if you choose to stay near Disneyland, there are some good choices.

The Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel is reasonable priced and has a great toddler water play area (Speedy's Sprayground) and would match your budget.

www.hojoanaheim.com

There is also a Residence Inn near Disneyland, the Residence Inn Maingate. The benefit of this chain is that they are larger rooms that come with a kitchen (including the pots and pans) so you can cook some meals and might make your life with your child easier. Also a nice large, Hot free breakfast.

marriott.com/hotels/…

Both Hotels are highly rated, come with free parking and Internet, and are walking distance to Disneyland, but both also have access to the ART Shuttle Service.

One thing many parents talk about when they take their young child to the parks is to be able to take a break in the middle of the day (nap). By stating near Disneyland you can get to the park when it opens (slowest time of the day), spend a few hours, head back to the Hotel and then head back to the park after the break.

Newport Beach/Balboa Pier is a short drive (less than 30 minutes in most cases). That leaves just one day for driving to the city of Los Angeles if that is when some of your "highlights" are.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,889 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in LA with a toddler?

Thanks for the kind words re: the FAQs. It's a labor of love and requires regular attention (much like a toddler but no diaper changing)

No matter where you stay, you'll have to do some driving since your attractions are far apart. Manhattan Beach would be your best compromise. Here's why:

1. There are some specific locations that you will be going to:

a. LAX (twice: on the day you arrive and on the day you depart)

b. "A beach somewhere"

c. Disneyland

d. Greater Tour of L.A.

Manhattan Beach is 10 minutes from LAX. This will be an easy transfer on the day of your arrival after such a long flight plus an hour or so at customs, etc. When you depart, it will be a short ride to the airport.

Manhattan Beach is "at the beach" so your beach day can be enjoyed as soon as the sun rises.

2. The trip to Disneyland is about an hour, no matter where you depart from L.A. and environs. So driving to DL from Hollywood will take the same time as driving there from Manhattan Beach.

3. For your tour of Los Angeles, Manhattan Beach is only about 20 minutes from the westside sites of Los Angeles. No matter where your hotel is, you'll be doing some driving from place to place on this day.

For your stay in Manhattan Beach, I'd recommend the Sea View Inn which is at the beach. While the Residence Inn is nice, it's about a mile from the beach. The Sea View lends beach equipment (at no charge) including bicycles. Info about the hotel is here:

http://theseaviewinn.com/index.htm

Italy
Level Contributor
131 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in LA with a toddler?

Thanks so much to all for the replies, a lot of useful information and suggestions.

So it seems that staying by the beach won 2 vs 1 against Hollywood and Anaheim.

When I said the beach I was referring to Santa Monica and Venice for sure, and the South Bay; as for highlights, surely Hollywood and Bevery Hills (for the rest I have to 'study' a bit more in ordet to fill that day).

Of course I meant Disneyland, I should have paid more attention while typing... ;)

Staying in Anaheim is actually very good for taking the break (nap) every day our baby girl has, the downsides are the driving from LAX on the day of our arrival after a long flight, and the driving north to Sequoia NP on the 22nd.

Staying in Hollywood it's ok for the sightseeing of the city (we won't go to the Studios though, I've read these are not suitable for a toddler), not as close to LAX as the beach, but I think fine for our way to Sequoia NP.

The beach is ok for LAX, ok for the beach day, not so distant from sightseeing....well, I'm convinced about staying by the beach.

In any case I love driving, I'm used to the 'mad' italian drivers and traffic here at home, wherever we'll stay will be fine.

Just a final request about accomodation, which is better place to stay between Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, Venice and Santa Monica?

They are 'the same' regarding geographical location, I'm referring to safety and the presence of restaurants for the dinner, and possibility to have a nice walk in the evening.

Once again thanks for your help, this forum is actually an example on how a forum should be!

Italy
Level Contributor
131 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in LA with a toddler?

Just for information, I ended up booking at Travelodge in Santa Monica for several reasons...not far from LAX, not very far from Hollywood, ok for the day at the beach, still need to drive to Disneyland but that would have been the same in any other location except for Anaheim, should be a safe place, should have a selection of restaurants wider than Manhattan Beach, should be a good base for 3 days and half in LA area.

Thanks again.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,889 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in LA with a toddler?

Which Travelodge in Santa Monica? The one on Ocean Av or the one on Pico Bl? If the latter, and you can cancel, I would do so. The area is kind of ugly and there's nothing to walk to. There's a reason why it's so cheap yet in the city of Santa Monica. Your choice but I think you can do better.

Italy
Level Contributor
131 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in LA with a toddler?

Ahhh...yes...it's in Pico Blvd....it seemed good to me, the opinion of TA members were generally good, I booked a room with a courtyard that was recommended for a quiet stay....

I have a car so I can move more closely to the beach during the day and in the evening for getting to a restaurant...

I don't know how parking in Santa Monica is, if it's not a big issue, I think I should be ok...

I will try to find something else though...

Thanks for the advice,

cheers.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in LA with a toddler?

With a toddler Manhattan Beach will be much better than Venice Beach, and MB has plenty of dining etc, but at any rate don't stay in Hollywood. Not with a day at the beach and a day at Disneyland as your plans. Travelodge on Pico in Santa Monica gets good reviews but you're going to hit a ton of morning traffic heading to Disneyland, try to leave by 6:30am and plan breakfast near Disney or something.

10. Re: Where to stay in LA with a toddler?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 04:18