We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Hotwire/Priceline area is convenient to beach and Univ

N Idaho
Level Contributor
132 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Which Hotwire/Priceline area is convenient to beach and Univ

We are staying 2 days in LA, coming in at LAX, will rent a car, is there a Priceline or Hotwire area that would the best for a beach, say Santa Monica or Manhattan, and for Universal Studios?? Hoping for $65 or less/night. Thinking of staying at around LAX for price reasons and so I can go back next AM and pick up car so don't have to drive after flying, too tired!!

Thanks in advance

1. Re: Which Hotwire/Priceline area is convenient to beach and Univ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2011, 05:21
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,875 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Hotwire/Priceline area is convenient to beach and Univ

Universal isn't anywhere near the beach. Here's a cartoon map that you might find helpful:

…flickr.com/2695/4304287666_3f60e03695_o.jpg

Why do you have to pick up the car at LAX? There are car rental offices all over L.A. If you tell us your travel dates, and the attractions you're looking to visit, we can make recommendations as far as hotels and, possibly doing without a rental car (or, at the least, finding an inexpensive one).

Los Angeles is one of the most expensive areas in the U.S. $65 will buy you an inexpensive motel.

N Idaho
Level Contributor
132 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Hotwire/Priceline area is convenient to beach and Univ

Hi, thanks for that. I will be in LA late on 8/22-25, am thinking of staying around LAX because this maybe the best price on hotels, and can take advantage of the free shuttle, meaning shuttle to hotel upon arrival late at night, then shuttle back to LAX in the AM when awake and alert and ready to deal with the Car rental people, and won't have to drive in the dark 1st night in LA, BetterBidding shows wins ifor 3* in the $60 range around LAX, yest Priceline was willing to give me 3* for $75. know I'll prob have to raise my budget as it is high season in August.

Thanks for the info on parking fees, that's mindboggling. My main need is to know what general area would be situated between Beach and Universal, with good access to freeways, as far as Priceline biddng areas go. So looking at the map it seems that Hollywood would be best area, if I was willing to forgo the free shuttle, or are there free shuttles from other hotels besides the LAX ones??My plan is to spend one day at Beach, prob Santa Monica, and one day at USH, and City Walk. Husband can't walk much and has no patience for public transport. Any advice on affordable car rental would hugely appreciated. You guys are a wealth of knowledge!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Hotwire/Priceline area is convenient to beach and Univ

Although switching hotels is a pain, it might make sense for you to stay at an airport hotel the first night and somewhere else the remaining nights, as the airport is in a dull area - for instance the only restaurants you can walk to are fast food type places or restaurants in hotels - and even with a car its geographic location is not very central.

As mentioned, Universal is far inland so there's no one location that's close to both Universal and to the beach, though you can certainly stay somewhere about halfway in between. On Hotwire, I'd probably start with the Westwood / Century City area (area "O" on their map), then West Hollywood / Beverly Hills (area "I"), and then finally Hollywood (area "G"). But none are especially cheap. Currently the best I see in those areas for your dates is a 3 star in Century City / Westwood for $103. That said its probably too early to get the best deals for August.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,273 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Hotwire/Priceline area is convenient to beach and Univ

Do NOT stay at a hotel near LAX. Unless you have dire buget and travel constraints, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Bite the bullet and up your budget. It is worth it.

My cheapo/charming beach-close motel is Villa Brasil. $75/night.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d657068-…

HTH

6. Re: Which Hotwire/Priceline area is convenient to beach and Univ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2011, 05:21
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,875 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Hotwire/Priceline area is convenient to beach and Univ

There's a reason why hotels near LAX are the cheapest. It's a bad place to stay unless you're attending a convention at one of these hotels.

I think you may be overestimating the convenience associated with staying at a hotel by the airport. Yes, they offer free shuttles but at 9 pm, they're not going to be running very often. You could be standing in front of the terminal for 15 minutes waiting for one which will then stop at a number of other terminals before making its way to the hotel. All of that could take 30 minutes -- the same amount of time that it would take to take a taxi to a hotel in Hollywood, West Hollywood, Westwood, etc (actually, Westwood takes only about 22 minutes!). In addition, if you stay at the airport, you're wasting precious time riding the hotel's shuttle van back to the airport and then waiting AGAIN for the car rental van. Yeesh!

Consider emerging from the terminal and jumping into a waiting taxi. You'll be at your hotel in no time and you'll get a good night's sleep. The cost of the taxi would be about the same as the cost of a car rental for 1/2 day (plus gas plus overnight parking at the hotel).

If you want to 'pinch pennies', take the Westwood Flyaway bus to Westwood. This is a mini bus' with luggage storage aboard that expresses to Westwood for $5 per person. The ride is about 25 minutes. Or take the Union Station Flyaway Bus to downtown L.A. ($7.50 fare). Downtown has many, many inexpensive hotels and there are car rental offices at Union Station (Hertz & Budget). The Flyaway lands at the bus plaza behind Union Station. There's also an Enterprise office in downtown; call them and they'll pick you up at your hotel at no charge. But, if you stay in downtown, you can take the red line metro rail to Universal City (25 minutes, $1.50 per person) followed by a short, free tram ride 'up the hill' to Universal's entrance. With the money you save by using public transit (including $15 to park your car at Universal and $10 to $30 to park your car at your hotel overnight) by your husband a few beers!

Westwood is a great place to stay as it is in between Universal and the beach (the beach is 20 minutes due west along Wllshire Bl via high-speed buses that depart every few minutes) . There are a number of car rental places in Westwood including an enterprise office on Westwood Bl, just a few steps south of Wilshire Bl. They, too, will pick you up from your hotel at no charge.

Atlanta, Ga.
Level Contributor
234 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Hotwire/Priceline area is convenient to beach and Univ

We have stayed at LAX and it is a quick trip to Manhattan Beach & up/down the 405. Don't count LAX hotels out, but bid for 3 star and above. There is a street behind the Holiday Inn LAX (3 star) where you can park free. Try renting a car from Alamo and use the check in kiosk. In and out in no time and you avoid the long lines and counter rep song and dance. Westwood is a good location and central to beaches and Universal. Great area to walk around with lots of local shops and eats. You can rent a city location car, but think about how you are getting back to the airport. Happy trails!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,875 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Hotwire/Priceline area is convenient to beach and Univ

As mentioned above, there's an express bus between westwood and LAX that costs $5.

N Idaho
Level Contributor
132 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Hotwire/Priceline area is convenient to beach and Univ

Thanks for the info, WestWood looks ideal, how do I find it on Priceline, what region? Is it easy to find express bus?? I'll look into Villa Brasil. I have other questions, will start another thread. Thanks!