We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tour of LA, las vegas, grand canynon and san Francisco

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wales
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
tour of LA, las vegas, grand canynon and san Francisco

Would like to do this tour at end of July to august.

never been to this part of USA before or done a tour .

Does anyone have any advice for where or how to book it at such short notice. Also I live in the uk so how much would we be looking at spending ?

Would like to see alot but also have few days inbetween to relax from our busy working lives.

Any suggestions for where to go to get best deal and how you would do this ie ..just book flights and hotels seprate ..fly drives ?? I am confused.com but really fancy it

Thank you

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tour of LA, las vegas, grand canynon and san Francisco

First of all how long do you have for this trip?....2 weeks, 3?

/are they any kids, elderdly, couples?

this is a very popular trip to take, have a search on the forums for /west coast trip, california roadtrip etc...

you can go through a travel agent, but i like to plan and therefore book if myself....you can book a flydrive or seperately. Try kayak.com for flights, aswell as expedia and travelsupermarket aswell as the airlines OWN sites, virgin, Ba etc..

try carhire3000.com for carhire, aswell as hertz, dollar, alamo etc...

usually it's best to book with hotels directly

don;t tie yourself down to flying in and out of the same airport, if would probably be better to fly into San Francisco and out of Vegas etc...

Nottingham UK
Level Contributor
277 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tour of LA, las vegas, grand canynon and san Francisco

We're doing this trip (except for Grand Canyon) starting at beginning of July. We start in Las Vegas for 4 nights (originally we planned to visit Grand Canyon but then found to see it at it's best at the South Rim is a 5 hr drive each way and we don't have time to fit it in.) then we move to Santa Barbara for 5 nights, then San Fransisco for 3 nights then down to L.A. for 6 nights. Flying home from Las Vegas on our last day.

I booked the flights and car hire with Virgin from Manchester.

then I spent hours and hours looking at hotels on Trip Advisor before picking the ones we are staying in. I looked for the best price by using the price comparisons on the sites you get thru Trip Advisor and I checked to see if it was any cheaper to book with the hotel direct before we finally booked.

It seemed daunting to start with but once we'd worked out exactly where we wanted to visit and for how long it was easy to book everything myself.

I'd say go for it and book it yourself. you'll be free to go where you like if you've got a hire car and it will probably work out cheaper too.

Good luck !

:)

Windsor UK
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tour of LA, las vegas, grand canynon and san Francisco

You have been offered good advice so far the only things i would add is to try kayak.co.uk for flights and carrental.co.uk for cars also travelsupermarket is also a good resource for price information.

4. Re: tour of LA, las vegas, grand canynon and san Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 18:17