We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott Courtyard Torrance/Palos Verdes

Arizona
Level Contributor
524 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Marriott Courtyard Torrance/Palos Verdes

Hi!

We've just booked a room at the Marriott Courtyard Torrance/Palos Verdes on 2633 Sepulveda Boulevard, Torrance, for 5 nights at the end of this month. We're using Marriott points for the stay. We plan to do various LA tourist things, including touring the Walt Disney Concert Hall, LA Conservancy walk, West Third Street area, Hollywood, Venice/Santa Monica beaches, and the Getty museums, during this stay. No one hotel location seems to be perfect...

Could you please provide some impressions on this area? We've done a considerable amount of research, but it's still nice to hear from locals and people who may have stayed at this property.

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott Courtyard Torrance/Palos Verdes

If possible use your points for the Marriott South Bay, also in Torrance. Just returned from weekend in LA. We did not stay here but our friend did. It was a nice hotel, Starbucks and bar in lobby, just across from shopping, and easy freeway access.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,253 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott Courtyard Torrance/Palos Verdes

Pretty out of the way, isn't it, for what you want to see? In traffic it's going to be pretty slow going. The 405 can be brutal, as can the 110. Surely there's a more central Marriott. Check google directions and pay attention to the estimated times in traffic.

Edited: 09 May 2011, 22:16
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,312 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott Courtyard Torrance/Palos Verdes

Pretty terrible location - is there another Marriott where you can use your points? You're looking at an hour each way, at minimum for all on your itinerary. And it's a slow, terrible, nothing to look at, hour

Arizona
Level Contributor
524 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott Courtyard Torrance/Palos Verdes

Thanks so much for your responses!

We have a very limited number of points available for this trip, so we're trying to find a hotel in the same Marriott point category (category 2). One property that meets this requirement would be the Courtyard Los Angeles Torrance/South Bay. It is located on 1925 W. 190th Street, Torrance.

Would this location be any better?

Thank you all again for your help.

California
Level Contributor
466 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott Courtyard Torrance/Palos Verdes

Well, it's closer to the freeway and that will save you some time. But it's an industrial park type of area. I routinely go to the area around your Sepulveda Courtyard. Depending on the time, I take the freeway (405, exit Hawthorne) or simply take Sepulveda the whole way. It's slow either way, I think I just like the visual interest and illusion of progress that surface streets give :)

The Sepulveda location's advantage is that it's closer to the beach and more restaurants and shopping, IMO. It's a nicer part of Torrance.

I'm assuming the Courtyard in Marina Del Rey is not category #2...

Lomita, CA
Level Contributor
624 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott Courtyard Torrance/Palos Verdes

I live very near here. As you are on the coast (well, three miles inland), it may be cool as "May Gray" will set in. Bring a sweatshirt and long pants.

We are in a nice, surburban area, but not centrally located. That said, if you plan your drive times wisely & properly, you can get everywhere on your list in an hour or less. Timing is everything, so come back for specific advice as you get closer!.

Arizona
Level Contributor
524 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriott Courtyard Torrance/Palos Verdes

Hi again--thanks for your input.

Comedor--The Courtyard Marina del Rey is (alas!) a Category 4. Too bad--it looked very nice. Maybe next time...We're not opposed to taking surface streets, either. It can definitely make for more interesting viewing.

Boleynfan--Great to hear from someone who lives nearby. I know what you mean about timing. We live in the Phoenix metro area...the time of day we drive makes a lot of difference. I've heard about the May Gray before--we'll pack something warm!

Thanks for the continued tips.

Arizona
Level Contributor
524 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriott Courtyard Torrance/Palos Verdes

Just as a followup to our stay at this property--

We thought the location was fine for all of our excursions. We typically traveled in nonpeak times and took quite a few city street routes. All driving times were less than one hour, with some of the beaches (Hermosa, Manhattan) being less than 1/2 hour away. We loved being only a few minutes from Palos Verdes--it's so beautiful there! We didn't eat in the area, with the exception of a quick breakfast at The Original Pancake House in Redondo Beach. While it may not be the most central location, we thought the Torrance/Palos Verdes Courtyard was a good choice for this first visit.

9. Re: Marriott Courtyard Torrance/Palos Verdes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2012, 22:19