We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

colleges

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
fairfax, va
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
colleges

We'll be in L.A. in April and my 16 year old daughter would like to tour USC and UCLA. We'll probably only have time for one though. Which school has the better reputation? Better Campus? How far are they from the Magic Castle, where we're staying.

THANKS

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: colleges

Both are excellant schools. Both my hubby and I graduate from 'SC but have many friends and co-workers who are UCLA grads. What is your daughter interested in majoring in? Both have very good reputations.

USC is a private school and higer tuition, UCLA is a state school. UCLA is a much larger school as well. The SC campus is much smaller.

UCLA is located in the Westwood area, so the surrounding area to the campus is better, where as 'SC is a "city" school and off campus is in not as nice of an area. However, I am partial, but I love the 'SC campus. It reminds me of an East coast college campus.

USC is about 15 miles - 20 minutes no traffic (freeway driving).

UCLA is only about 8 iles away - but will take you about 20 minutes as well.

They are very different schools, with very different feels, if you can, I would really try to get to both. At least to walk around and get a feel for the campus.

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: colleges

Both are great schools and have excellent reputations. With UCLA though, since it's a public university class sizes tends to be very large. For both schools depending on what major, it can be very competitive to get in. They not only look for grades and whether a student took advantage of AP classes but they are also looking for any school and or non-school related activites(example volunteer work, offices held in the student class, sports, tutoring, etc). Last year's acceptance rate to UCLA was about 27%. In 2004, it was about 22%.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,229 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: colleges

UCLA is one of the hardest state schools to get into. It is comparable to the Univ. of Virginia. It has a rigid formula of test scores and grades that it uses to decide who gets in. USC is a private school and therefore can be more flexible in how it decides. There is a big cross town rivalry like Duke vs. UNC.They both have strong athletic programs. USC has more scholarship money to give out. I think it really boils down to the kind of student your daughter is and why she is thinking of a west coast school. If you want a really fine small college personal education then you have to go up to Oregon and look at Reed. Good luck.

Encino, CA
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: colleges

I went to UCLA and I could tell you it's hard to get into that school. Grades, classes, test scores and extracurricular activies are very important during the admission process. They get 20,000+ applications each year and they only accept about 5,000 or less students for their freshman class.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,254 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: colleges

I went to both USC and UCLA (where I graduated). I loved UCLA far more.

But ultimately, it all depends on what your daughter would like to study as both schools have different strengths.

fairfax, va
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: colleges

It sounds like we should try to see both colleges. We are from Virginia so I guess it won't make much a difference between a state school (UCLA) and a private school (USC) being that it will be a fortune for us regardless. Right now she's interested in majoring in Psychology and English. She is a very strong student and her first choice of schools here in Virginia is UVA, but competition is tough. It sounds like getting into UCLA and USC will be equally as tough - or do you think it's an advantage being from VA? Do the schools want a few less Californians to balance things out?

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: colleges

HI lewisal, I think the best thing is to apply to both USC and UCLA. I really don't know what their admission standards are. I just remembered when I graduated from high school years ago, our own valedictorian who was a straight A honors student didn't get into UCLA. It is pretty competitive. Good luck to your daughter and hoping that she can get into her first choice school!

Encino, CA
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: colleges

Here's some info on UCLA's selection process

admissions.ucla.edu/Prospect/Adm_fr/FrSel.htm

I wanted to update my original response. I guess it was 20,000 applications when I went to UCLA. Currently they have 40,000+ applicantions for their undergrad class. Some of these applicants are probably from a variety of the local community colleges.

How about the College of William and Mary? Is this a public university in Virginia? I've heard it's an outstanding school. I'm sure it's tough as well.

Best Wishes and Good Luck!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,229 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: colleges

It is not an advantage for UCLA . As I said before USC may want balance and it has more leeway. Why does she want to go to school in California? Airfare back and forth won't help your pocketbook.

fairfax, va
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: colleges

I know it's crazy, but ever since she was about 12 all she has talked about was going to college in California. At first we just blew it off, but she still is serious about it. We do hope she'll change her mind, as the state schools here in Virginia are excellent. She has turned into quite the liberal though, and although we live in Northern Virginia, the rest of the state is very conservative. She also wants to be in or very near a metropolitan area. So here we are taking a family vacation in California this April and it's not like we'll be out there anytime soon, so we might as well visit these schools while we're there. Even if she loves UCLA and/or USC, we hope after a year goes by (she's a junior), she'll mature and realize that it's a hell of a lot of money,i.e. student loans, she won't be able to come home more than 2 or 3 times a year, she won't see her friends, etc. etc. Our plan is to visit schools around here after the California trip fades from her mind a bit and hopefully she'll see some East Coast schools that she might also be happy at. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR ADVICE