We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel near Digital Media Center

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
9 posts
Save Topic
Hotel near Digital Media Center

We are staying at the Holiday Inn Media Center in Burbank for a few days, but want to go to a taping of Chelsea Lately at:

Digital Media Center

12312 W. Olympic Blvd

LA, CA 90064

So we plan to get a room the night before the taping, which is also the night before our flight, near LAX. I am able to get good rates at 3 hotels near LAX with free airport shuttle, which is nice because we are trying to go as cheap as possible and wont have a car.

Can anyone familiar with the area and LA traffic/transportation tell which hotel is best out of the Courtyard Los Angeles LAX/El Segundo, Doubletree by Los Angeles - Westside, and Crowne Plaza Itl Airport? By best I mean cheapest transportation to the taping! These are the 3 hotels I get an employee rate at.

Midwest
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel near Digital Media Center

Would it be better to stay closer to the studio and then cab it to the airport?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,084 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel near Digital Media Center

The studio is not near any of the hotels. It would be helpful if you could tell us how much you're paying for your hotel with your discount. Also, it helps if you provide the address of each hotel since there are many similarly-named hotels among the big chains. Lastly, can you get discounts at hotels that are NOT near LAX but might have inexpensive transfer options to LAX?

Off the top of my head, you might consider staying somewhere near the studio for the last night -- specifically, near the corner of Wilshire Bl & Bundy Dr. This will give you the following conveniences:

1. You can connect with the Westwood Flyaway (express bus to LAX) by transferring from your hotel (via taxi or various buses that run along Wilshire Bl) to the Westwood neighborhood. The local bus to Westwood will cost $1 per person and the Flyaway will cost $5 per person).

The best bus would be the Santa Monica #2 bus. Take it from the corner of Wilshire Bl & Bundy Av to the corner of Westwood Bl & Lindbrook Drive (a 3-block walk to the Flyaway Station on Kinross Av just west of Weyburn Place). The bus ride is 9 minutes (and buses run every 15 minutes) and the Flyaway ride is 30 minutes or so; the Flyaways depart every 30 minutes or every hour, depending on the day of the week and time of day. Info about the Flyaway bus is here: http://www.lawa.org/popup.aspx?id=300

2. For transferring to the studios, you could jump on a southtbound bus along Bundy Drive (the Santa Monica #14 bus -- $1, runs every 15 to 30 minutes, depending on the time of day. The ride is 4 minutes). Or take a taxi or walk -- it's a little over a mile, straight down Bundy Drive.

Now, we need to find you a hotel near the corner of Wilshire Bl & Bundy Drive. Here it is:

The Wilshire Motel is at 12023 Wilshire Bl, with rates under $100 per night. http://wilshiremotel.com/

Of course, you'll need to transfer from your first hotel to your second one and that will take some doing. The quickest method I can find is to take a train to L.A.'s Union station (20 minutes/$5.75 per person) and transfer to the #10 Santa Monica Bus (which is BEHIND Union Station at the corner of Vignes St & Cesar E. Chavez Bl). The ride on the #10 is about an hour to the corner of Santa Monica Bl & Bundy Drive. You'll then need to walk north 4 or 5 blocks to the corner of Wilshire Bl & Bundy Drive. Cross to the north side of Wilshire and turn right; the motel will be just ahead on the left.

Good luck!

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel near Digital Media Center

The Courtyard near LAX is a good one. But it's expensive to travel there from Burbank, and then you have transportation to and from your tv taping to pay for, too. Consider renting a car from Avis in downtown Burbank for 24 hours, you can drop it at LAX

USA
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel near Digital Media Center

Ok, here are the prices and addresses. I mapped it and it looks like the Doubletree is closest to the studio of the 3, but I'm not sure that means it will be easiest to access.

$39/night

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Westside

6161 West Centinela Avenue . Culver City, CA

$39/night

Courtyard Los Angeles LAX/El Segundo

2000 East Mariposa Avenue · El Segundo, California 90245 USA

$29/night

Crowne Plaza LAX

5985 W. CENTURY BLVD . LOS ANGELES, CA 90045

I'll go back in to the systems and see if there are any places offering the employee rate near Wilshire Bl & Bundy Dr. Do you know if there are any ICG, strarwood, hilton or marriott properties near there? Those are the ones I can sometimes get the great rates at. Although not all properties offer the rates for all dates.

A rental car might make the most sense. I just hate to drive where I'm not familiar with the place. Never been to LA! Thanks for the help

USA
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel near Digital Media Center

Looks like the closest hotel I get a discount at would be

$59

Holiday Inn Express West LA -

WEST LOS ANGELES

11250 SANTA MONICA BLVD.

LOS ANGELES, CA 90025

This looks to be 1.32 miles from the corner of Wilshire Bl & Bundy Dr.

$39

Courtyard Los Angeles Century City/Beverly Hills

10320 West Olympic Boulevard . Los Angeles, CA 90064

Looks to be 2.9 miles from the intersection

I left a message with the Willshire Motel to get the rate there.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,084 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel near Digital Media Center

The Wilshire Motel would be the most convenient because it's near the aforementioned intersection.

The Holiday Inn Express (a perfectly reasonable alternative) is on the bus route for the #6 Culver City bus which will take you to the bus plaza at LAX for just $1 (35-minute transfer), after which you'd need to walk to the adjacent LAX parking lot C and wait for the free shuttle into the airport. You could also take the #6 if you stayed at the Wilshire Motel by getting off the #2 Santa Monica bus at the corner of Wilshire Bl & Sepulveda Bl (before getting to Westwood). This would save you $4 per person but the Flyaway is a more comfortable bus with luggage storage and GUARANTEED seating whereas the #6 is a municipal bus with neither of these.

USA
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel near Digital Media Center

We went with the $39/night Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Westside

6161 West Centinela Avenue . Culver City, CA

It looks like it has a decent outdoor pool. We'll probably just hang by the pool on Sunday or try to get to Manhattan Beach for a lazy day. Looks like there is public transit near there

Then Monday we'll look into getting to Chelsea at the Digital Media Center.

8. Re: Hotel near Digital Media Center

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2012, 06:17