We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA Conv in July/Recommended hotels are 19 miles away! Help!

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
LA Conv in July/Recommended hotels are 19 miles away! Help!

Hi LA Guru's - I found another post in this section today on hotels and found it helpful, so am sending out my message in a bottle to you hoping for more sage wisdom. :)

Have to go to a convention from July 9th-14th and all the hotels remotely close are booked. Not interested in staying at the airport and getting into monster traffic everyday (not to mention the hell of staying at the airport alone- takes all the fun out of travel, ya?!)

Here is what we were thinking:

Exploit light rail to maximize good accommodation list and travel time to and from Conv cntr. Santa Monica is just too far... What is the best compromise given the commute time?

Options: Stay in Long Beach or Hollywood (does Beverly Hills count as part of HW?). What is the best compromise given the commute time on light rail?

Budget: Not really an issue when you can't find anywhere to stay, and must be there. Would be good to keep it under $300.

Caveat: there may be other people that need to glom onto our choice quickly, so would be good to have a couple options that are close to each other.

Hotel preferences: Swanky/cool biz is our favorite (e.g. Standard, Mondrian, etc.)

Thanks in advance!!

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,043 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA Conv in July/Recommended hotels are 19 miles away! Help!

Have you look into Pasadena? Light rail to downtown, stay near Old Town Pasadena.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: LA Conv in July/Recommended hotels are 19 miles away! Help!

Your convention is downtown at LA Convention center? Why not stay in Downtown. Two great new hotels right across from the convention center at LA Live, The J.W. Marriott and Ritz Carlton. I'm sure you could get J.W. for under $300, not sure about the Ritz.

Or you could think of Hollywood (no, Beverly Hills is a separate city entirely, not part of Hollywood and not near good public transportation). In Hollywood, you have the Red Line direct into Downtown. You could think of the new W Hotel on Hollywood Blvd, The Roosevelt or The Renaissance, all of which are less than a block from the red line. The W is on top of the Hollywood/Vine red line station. I really do suggest downtown though. Great restaurants, some of the most popular in the city right now, great bars, great museums, art galleries, etc. If you want to explore Hollywood, it's an easy subway ride into Hollywood.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LA Conv in July/Recommended hotels are 19 miles away! Help!

Hi!

We can look into any options, but would be helpful to have comparisons. e.g. how long on light rail to each option pasadena, hollywood, long beach. and then how many hotel options are in each area.

First priority is distance/time to commute

Second pri- cool place to stay

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,415 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LA Conv in July/Recommended hotels are 19 miles away! Help!

The W Hollywood, the Reniassance & Roosevelt in Hollywood.

The Westin or Hilton in Pasadena (would require a transfer at Union Station from the Gold Line)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LA Conv in July/Recommended hotels are 19 miles away! Help!

Would love to stay downtown- but they are all booked! ACK!

Will look into the Hollywood options... Is this better than LB? (as far as commute time?)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: LA Conv in July/Recommended hotels are 19 miles away! Help!

ThanksSocial, Pasadena would be 2-3 trains into Downtown, and not nearly as convenient. Gold line to Union Station, Red Line to 7th/metro and blue line to convention center. No reason to stay in Pasadena with so much to do downtown or in nearby Hollywood.

To the OP, there is also a Standard downtown, but I do not like those at all. They're cheap looking and overpriced. The best "scene" you'll get would be either Roosevelt or W Hotel Hollywood. But J.W. Marriott downtown is also great.

Yes, Hollywood is way better than Long Beach. Long Beach is too far away.

Edited: 03 June 2011, 17:39
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: LA Conv in July/Recommended hotels are 19 miles away! Help!

P.S. Since you said you wanted a "cool" place to stay, eliminate The Renaissance. It's nice, but not cool in any way, and no scene, which I gather you are looking for since you like Standard and Mondrian.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,919 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LA Conv in July/Recommended hotels are 19 miles away! Help!

Define "remotely close". I find it hard to believe everything downtown is booked. I can believe that the few hotels very close to the convention center are booked (Marriot, Luxe, Figueroa). There are a lot of hotels which are further out like The Standard, 'O', the Bonaventure (which always seems to have vacancies). How about the venerable Wilshire Grand? Have you checked Little Tokyo like the New Otani or Miyako Inn near the Civic Center? How about the Omni on Bunker Hill? Hollywood has some decent hotels like the 'W' and you could take the Red Line. Check Koreatown near Wilshire/Western and Wilshire Normandie. You could take the Purple Line into downtown.

I'd rule out Long Beach based upon your criteria. The route is very long. It takes about an hour to get from Long Beach to downtown. It also goes through very scruffy parts of town.

Pasadena could work. I can't recommend any specific properties. However, I'd point out the Gold Line connects to Union Station. From there, you'd have to transfer to the Red/Purple Line and take it three stops to 7th & Metro. From there you need to walk about 4 blocks to the convention center.

Take a look in West Hollywood. The commute into downtown via surface streets should be reasonable.

HTH

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LA Conv in July/Recommended hotels are 19 miles away! Help!

All of the hotels that you mentioned are booked...

Couple questions.

How long would it take to do the commute on metro into Pasadena? Give or take... (Haven't looked at hotels here yet)

W Hollywood. Ditto on the commute... but via taxi I am guessing? (Good hotel options here...)

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,237 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LA Conv in July/Recommended hotels are 19 miles away! Help!

Visit Metro.net and enter into the 'from' box the address of the hotels you're proposing (or simply the city name, e.g. Pasadena or Beverly HIlls). Into the "To" box, enter LA CONVENTION CENTER. Include day of the week/time of day. The site will respond with rail/bus routes and estimated transfer time. Hollywood is the closest neighborhood to downtown (15 to 20 minutes). Long Beach and Pasadena are just under an hour.

Please tell us your travel dates and the friendly people of the Forum will scramble to find you the best deal. Tell us how many people you're traveling with and the number beds (and the types of beds) you'll need in your room.