We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do and where to go on the west coast

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cork, Ireland
1 post
Save Topic
What to do and where to go on the west coast

Hi,

I'm getting married next year and we want to do the west coast on our honeymoon. we are not sure where to go to and for how long, should we fly or drive. we have 18 days and would like to start off somewhere relaxing to do the pool and beach thing to recharge the batteries after the whole wedding thing. i was told san diego was the place for this. we would also like to see san fran for maybe 3 nights and definatley end up in vegas for 4 nights. i would like to drive some of the coast but dont want to spend full days driving. Where should i start for my relaxing start? Should I start in san diego fly to LA drive up the coast to san fran and back down to vegas?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,394 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do and where to go on the west coast

Welcome to the forum. You've posted in the LA forum. If you click on the California Forum, you will see California Itineraries. You can also search the forum and you will find many more links to trips. Please have a look and then plan you trip and post that to the CA forum if you need some help.

Lot of people do the Vegas, So Cal and Bay Area trips so please have a look. If you start of in LA or SD and want to go to SF, you will have a 7 to 8 hour or longer drive. You have the option of buying VUSA plane tickets between say LA and SFO and southwest airlines tickets on their website between LA and Vegas.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,951 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do and where to go on the west coast

Hi paddy186600, and welcome to TripAdvisor forums.

This Los Angeles forum is the perfect place to plan your time in this vast area. Read their FAQs / Top Questions (upper right) for best info.

Itinerary planning is best on the California state forum here: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28926-i29 That forum page has some great Top Questions about the Hwy 1 coastal drive. When you repost, let folks know when you're planning to honeymoon.

=============

I guess I win the Tardy Typist Award this morning.

Edited: 21 July 2011, 15:57
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,266 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do and where to go on the west coast

Just me, but I would never give Las Vegas more nights than San Francisco.

I would probably start in Las Vegas. It has an international airport and you can fly in from several places like London non-stop. Get your late nights and clubbing done in LV before heading to CA to relax and unwind.

I might cut out San Diego and not venture any further south than Orange County and look at town like Laguna Beach and Huntington Beach. You can get inexpensive internal US flights on JetBlue and Southwest airlines, but they are not on the major discounting sites so you have to go to their sites. You can fly into several airports in the LA area including John Wayne (SNA) and Long Beach (LGB) that are much easier than LAX.

Ponder those ideas and give us feedback.

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,151 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do and where to go on the west coast

What time of year are you getting married? While you may think that San Diego would have nice weather all year you could be disappointed to visit there for a beach vacation in June for instance, when "June Gloom" sets in. (though you could have perfectly nice weather then too) You would probably have more reliably hot and sunny weather in Vegas, which I have only been to once, and that was for 3 nights, which I felt was sufficient. I would probably take several days to drive up the coast to San Francisco, as there is such beautiful scenery and lots of nice little towns, wineries, etc to see.

5. Re: What to do and where to go on the west coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 21:18