We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time involved in watching a TV show taping?

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Time involved in watching a TV show taping?

Hi -

We will be in LA in October for 5 days and am planning our itinerary.

How long does it take typically to watch a show (say standard 30 minute sitcom) being taped? Most of the show tapings seem to start at 6 or 6:30 - so will they pretty much take the evening or are they done within an hour or hour and a half?

Also - is there a taping day of the week which is easiest to get tickets to Ellen? (I would really like to get tickets for that but I expect they are in high demand)

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,752 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time involved in watching a TV show taping?

Tapings go to about eleven or midnight, but you have to get there at about 3 or 4.

There is no one day of the week that's best for Ellen.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
318 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time involved in watching a TV show taping?

You need to submit your request for Ellen asap. You have to get there in the afternoon, wait, wait, wait, get seated, wait, wait, and then the show starts. Once it starts it goes pretty fast. Probably 90 minutes at most.

Sitcoms take forever to film. LIke Yogachik says, they can easily go to 11pm-midnight.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Time involved in watching a TV show taping?

Thanks for the advice -

I guess I won't go crazy booking sitcoms tapings and just book one then ....

Stupid question - is there any continuity to what you are seeing in the taping - do you get story and humor or is there no context to what you are seeing?

I had read it was long waits before hand for Ellen - but Ive heard it's really worth it! I don;t think the schedule is out yet to request tickets for the fall - I'll keep checking though!

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
318 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time involved in watching a TV show taping?

No, they don't recap the season for you especially since the season probably hasn't started or is just beginning. But if you're going to a tv show taping then you probably like the show and already familiar with the premise.

5. Re: Time involved in watching a TV show taping?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 01:18