We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Locals......"best" places to live?

Oregon
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Locals......"best" places to live?

Hello,

We might be relocating to Southern California from Portland, Oregon.

We need to be within 1 hour of Colton, California for business reasons.

Can you suggest a "nice" place to live where we could find a house/townhouse for $500,000 or under? We will be visiting before we move and want to make of list of places to scout out.

We are laid-back and enjoy the outdoors and would enjoy a town that reflected that.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,139 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Locals......"best" places to live?

I have to admit that I had to look up Colton. I've lived in LA my whole life and have never heard of it. From the map, it looks to be in or near Fontana and/or San Bernadino? Somewhere off the 10 and east of the 15?

I don't know where you could live that is an hour away from Colton, in Los Angeles, and under $500k. I'm serious. You might have to look in the neighborhood of Colton itself?

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Locals......"best" places to live?

Although I do not know the price of homes, but I have friends living in Redlands. It seems to be desirable location and the surrounding communities. It is close to the the mountains with Big Bear Lake, skiing, boating, hiking, and Palm Springs isn't too far. Good access to other areas with the freeways.

Mentioned in this post
Redlands
Redlands
California
Big Bear Lake
Big Bear Lake
562 Reviews
Big Bear Region, CA
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,495 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Locals......"best" places to live?

if you stay south east there are plenty of rural areas you can do for that price, crestline in the mountains, high desert, apple valley, victorville, phelan, I would think rancho cucmaonga would be in that range. The more you go towards the ocean or LA the more $$$ it gets

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Locals......"best" places to live?

hi misssweetie: I use to live in Southern California prior to our move to SC. I am familiar with Colton...as we use to have friends that live there. What you are looking for and knowing where you live now (we have family that live there) I would suggest some place like Crestline or Running Springs in the San Bernardino Mountains. Wishing you the best of luck!

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Colton Inn
Colton Inn
581 Reviews
Monterey, CA
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,659 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Locals......"best" places to live?

YOur price range is fine because you are NOT looking in LA county. You will probably find something in San Bernadino county and many towns have lovely houses in your price range. You need to go to a real estate web site and start looking around and then go and drive around with someone and visit the different towns that sound good. This site is really good for visiting for a vacation but not as good for moving somewhere. Good luck.

Los Angeles
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Locals......"best" places to live?

Dozens of brand new housing developments have been built along the foothills in San Bernadino County (along the 210 corridor), especially the Rancho Cucamonga area, in conjunction with the SoCal housing boom. And they continue to be built. Most are detached, single-family dwellings, but are so densely arranged that they might as well be townhouses. As the market is cooling off, you should be able to find what you need in the RC area and east of Colton in Riverside County. However, these are new communities without a traditional city center, and the older ones aren't exactly 'nice', and if you want to be close to Los Angeles, you are in the wrong place. An hour's drive west from Colton will get you inside the LA County line and brings more mature cities such as Claremont, Diamond Bar, San Dimas, and Monrovia into play.

You've got to be more specific as to what 'nice' means and what you desire in order to get better feedback. Most Californians enjoy the outdoors, thanks to out weather and are 'laid back'so that doesn't really help.

Mentioned in this post
Riverside
Riverside
California
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Claremont
Claremont
California
Oregon
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Locals......"best" places to live?

Thanks everyone for all of your input, it will be helpful in our search.

As for the "nice" comment, more specifically I mean safe.

And the "laid-back" comment was more directed at our personalities in relation to certain communities that might be viewed as having that mind-set. Seems with our price-range we can't be too picky about that.

Thanks again.

Southern California
Level Contributor
434 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Locals......"best" places to live?

Rancho Cucamonga - 1300-1500 sq ft houses on very small lots for $450-500,000.

A typical city, pretty good schools, lots of shopping.

Lots of traffic, so be sure to drive your route to work before you buy. Also, alot of wind along the 15 freeway.

Check out Realtor.com to research on your own, then get a good Realtor to assist you.

Mentioned in this post
orange county
Level Contributor
699 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Locals......"best" places to live?

The 1hour radius is not that bad bc traffic is going away from riverside/san bernardino in the morning so you will have a light commute. Problem is that the further you go away from that area, the more expensive your place will be. Orange County is a great place to live, but $500K will get you a sub 1000 sq ft attached townhome/condo. I know, its disgusting.

If you're gonna be around a while, look at the places in SB/Riverside. The areas are still in the transition period from dairies and cows to actually cities. Prices are still semi-affordable as well. Your home will undoubtedly increase in value once those places are fully developed. you'll just have to be able to deal with the smell of cows for now.

Mentioned in this post
Orange County
Orange County
California
Riverside
Riverside
California