We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what area to stay with these points of interest

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
1 review
Save Topic
what area to stay with these points of interest

Sorry - another 'where to stay' question - what neighborhood or area would be best for us?

* Sunday Oct 9 Friday Oct 14

* We prefer to do public transit - maybe rent a car for a single day if needed.

* Budget not so important - convenience is more important

We would like to hit the following -

* Hollywood highlights (sign, walk of fame etc..)

* Venice Beach

* Warner Studios tours

* hopefully tickets to Ellen, Price is right and one sitcom

* Griffith Park

*Dodger stadium (tour and game if they are in the playoffs when there)

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,535 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what area to stay with these points of interest

Well, the sights you've listed are not that close to one another (especially Venice). I guess the best place vis-a-vis public transit access would be Hollywood. For your day in Venice, you might want to rent a car; otherwise, the bus ride will be an hour or more in each direction and will require either walking to get to the 'express bus' or taking 2 buses in succession.

For the other sites,

1. Hollywood -- you'll be in Hollywood so you can walk or take the red line for a minute if you need to (or any bus along Hollywood Bl).

2. WB Studios -- take the #222 bus from Hollywood to the corner of Riverside Drive & Hollywood Way -- and walk to the tour's starting point: the office building at 3400 Riverside Drive (enter from the rear, enter the gift shop and someone at the counter will assist you with your tour). The #222 runs only once every 40 minutes but the ride is only 20 or 25 minutes.

3. Price is right is filmed at CBS 'Television City" studios which is accessible from Hollywood via either the #217 or #780 bus (17 or 12 minutes, respectively).

4. Griffith Park -- It's a big park! Only 4 sites in the park are served by public transit and 2 of those (the Observatory and the Theater) have public transit on weekend days only. The Zoo and the Autry Museum have daily service. For other parts of the Park, you'll need to walk or hire bikes (which you can take aboard the bus -- well, actually, they can be stowed on the front of the bus on the bike rack).

5. Dodger stadium (tour and game if they are in the playoffs when there)

You can access the stadium using 2 methods:

a. The #2 bus eastbound on Sunset Bl to the Ennis street stop. Walk up the hill to the stadium.

b. The red line metro to Union (rail) station in downtown, connecting to the free Dodger shuttle bus.

Take a look at our FAQs section -- a link at the top of the TOPIC LIST. There, you'll find many topics of interest but the "Local Transportation" topic will explain how to search for bus and metro rail routes and how to buy discount passes for these.

What's "NB"? (New Brunswick? Where?)

Fullerton...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: what area to stay with these points of interest

Hello....if you mean October 2011, you can cross a Dodger game off the list. They have absolutely no chance of making the playoffs. Now if you mean next year, well, hope springs eternal :)

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: what area to stay with these points of interest

Thanks HopSkip - we were leaning to Hollywood but have been a little overwhelmed at trying to decipher the public transport - very much appreciated!

dekage - as you can see I have no idea what's actually happening in baseball - haha - (although I did hear it has been a bad year for Dodgers). Do they run tours of the stadium if they are no longer playing for the season? If not - what would be the next recommended 'quintessential' LA sport experience. I see the Kind's ae playing after we leave (and not really 'quinessential' L.A. I suspect.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: what area to stay with these points of interest

sorry - missed the NB question - yes - New Brunswick in the Atlantic provinces. (-:

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what area to stay with these points of interest

The big Los Angeles fall sport is college football, either UCLA at the Rose Bowl or USC at the Coliseum. That is loads of fun and pageantry with the marching bands and cheerleaders.

King's games are really exciting there in person. On TV I just find them a big yawn.

Menifee, California
Level Contributor
613 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what area to stay with these points of interest

College football games are played on Saturdays, so you miss by a day both ways.

Kings and Ducks (our local NHL teams) are not playing at home during the dates of your stay, either.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: what area to stay with these points of interest

I guess basketball is all that's left - assuming lakers tickets would be impossible to get even if they were playing - is it worthwhile to try to catch a college basketball game?

Menifee, California
Level Contributor
613 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what area to stay with these points of interest

Never mind tickets being impossible to get, there's a very good chance there will not be a pro basketball season this year....

Both USC and UCLA have one home game during your stay; USC on campus at the Galen Center and UCLA at the Sports Arena, both in the downtown area. Neither team's opponent is a powerhouse of basketball prowess; and it will be the first games of the season, when the teams are working the kinks out. So the "never done that before" would probably be the only reason for you to consider taking time out to do something like this.

You're kinda out of luck in the L.A. sports department during your stay, that's for sure.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: what area to stay with these points of interest

Thanks for the heads up on the pro basketball - just checked CNN - as I don't really follow sports (obviously) these items tend to go in one ear and out the other.

As Canadians we are always impressed with the spectator side of American sporting events which is why I like to attend - always a good time regardless of the sport!

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what area to stay with these points of interest

Public transit is easy to check using the Google Maps transit function. I think this works a lot better than the metro.net website.

Los Angeles is spread out but really only Venice Beach is far out of your way, perhaps split your stay and spend a night or two at the front or back end of the trip in Santa Monica or Venice. You'll be closer to the beach and the airport.

For the rest of your itinerary Hollywood would work out.