We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Oakland to Riverside avoiding LA craziness

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Piedmont
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving from Oakland to Riverside avoiding LA craziness

I will be driving from Oakland to Riverside CA and want to avoid the worst congested freeways in the LA area. I will be hitting the LA area late afternoon on Friday. What is the best route? I was thinking of this: I5 to 210 (Foothill Freeway), then where do I go south? 91 to 60 East, or 215 South?

I have never driven in the LA area and I am worried.

Thanks!

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,793 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Oakland to Riverside avoiding LA craziness

LA traffic reputation is worse than realities. Yes from I-5 take 210 east. Depending on time of day you'll still hit traffic going east on 210, but at least you'll avoid downtown LA. Then I'll just take 215 south to Riverside.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,447 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Oakland to Riverside avoiding LA craziness

I'd bypass LA altogether. I ALWAYS got stuck in traffic driving through LA en route to Palm Springs when I had family living there.

I eventually smartened up and started going 99 to 58 to 395 to 15 to 215.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Oakland to Riverside avoiding LA craziness

Don't know when you are going but the traffic in LA may not be your biggest problem driving south o I5 near Buttonwillow the freeway is reduced to 1 lane due to road work. When I did it the delay was about 30 minutes as he back up began many miles ahead of the lane reduction.

check out the caltrans site and enter 5 in the search box to read more about it:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Oakland to Riverside avoiding LA craziness

Simba has a good take. I'll refine it a bit.

Interstate 580 east to Interstate 5 south to (while Caltrans is doing road construction in the Buttonwillow area) California State Route 46 east to California State Route 99 south.

The bypass part of the route: go on up the Grapevine to Gorman and take California State Route 138 east. Take California State Route 14 (Antelope Valley Freeway) south (corouted with CA Route 138) to Pearblossom Highway exit. Pearblossom Highway east through four traffic signals, then right turn back onto California State Route 138 east (also named Pearblossom Highway at this point). Interstate 15 south to Interstate 215 south to your destination of Riverside.

The beauty of this route is that you are traveling at an angle southeast towards Interstate 15, and not going at it at a right angle through Kramer Junction as CA State Route 58/Us Highway 395 does. More interesting scenery being by the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains, and a lot less traffic than Interstate 210. I think that's what you are looking for after all, right? (smile)

Piedmont
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Oakland to Riverside avoiding LA craziness

Thanks for the suggestions. I am not sure I want to drive on those two-lane highways, though.

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Oakland to Riverside avoiding LA craziness

Ok - from someone who commuted from Moraga area to Riverside while in college this is the route:

Take the 580 east to the 5 south.

Take the 210 EAST from the 5 south (be careful, this is very easy to miss - essentially, hang to the right after you pass the In-N-Out in the Valencia area - great place to stop for hamburger!).

The 210 will also split down in the Pasadena area (start looking for the split right as you enter into the Rose Bowl area, its just after you pass the Rose Bowl). You want to follow the 210 to the EAST).

You'll follow the 210 east to the 57 south. Stay to the right when you travel along the 57. Your time on the 57 is very short. Look for the 71 freeway south.

71 South turns into a surface street for a couple of miles. Just as it turns into a freeway, you'll see the 60 freeway. Take the 60 EAST. 60 will meet with the 91 in downtown Riverside area.

This is the fastest most direct way and avoids the worst of LA traffic.

7. Re: Driving from Oakland to Riverside avoiding LA craziness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 21:16