We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please! San fran, LA, vegas aug 2012 ?!?!

London
Level Contributor
162 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Help please! San fran, LA, vegas aug 2012 ?!?!

Having arrived back from Florida last week we are looking to book next years adventure!!

We have been Vegas twice but it seems such a waste to travel all that way and only visit one place again and so we are thinking of doing all three this time?!

We will be on a budget of some sorts, going for 2 weeks, no preference on which city we fly into first, will be getting a car and so any initial ideas would be highly appreciated!!!

We dont know where to start?! I just know I want to see San Fran bridge, wharf area, trams, alactraz etc then universal, hollywood area, warner brothers tour in LA (other ideas welcome) and then few days in vegas as we always have a wonderful time there!

North east england
Level Contributor
694 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please! San fran, LA, vegas aug 2012 ?!?!

We are doing a similar trip in May 2012.

We are starting in San francisco (staying in the Chancellor Hotel) for 5 nights,

Las Vegas, (Planet hollywood) for 5 nights - with trip to south rim and overnight stay in El tovar, getting married in Vegas,

then travelling to LA (staying in Renaissance) for 4 nights then home to UK.

Do loads of research and planning - i think thats part of the fun.

We arent hiring a car other than for the grand canyon trip, in San francisco the public transport is fab so relying on that, and going to use taxi's etc in LA.

Keep an eye on the forums on here, Ive got loads of good advice on here.

Good luck.

London
Level Contributor
162 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please! San fran, LA, vegas aug 2012 ?!?!

Thank you for the advice! and congratulations!! Vegas is amazing we always have fun there!

Cant wait to hear how your trip goes! Are you flying to each place then?! Have you booked this already? Or goin to book with one of the american airlines jetblue / southwest etc?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,155 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please! San fran, LA, vegas aug 2012 ?!?!

Lots of folks enjoy driving for this trip. Here are other ideas in addition to the one you got from Nufc165

-- Fly to SFO. Transfer to SF. Tourism. Pick up rental car. Drive 4 hrs to Yosemite, 2 nights. Drive 4 hrs to Monterey/Carmel, 1 or 2 nights. Drive Big Sur ~ savor this lovely drive! Stay Cambria/Pismo Beach. Hearst Castle? Los Angeles! Drive 5 hrs to Las Vegas. Drop car. Either direction (northbound or southbound works.)

-- Fly to SFO. Transfer to SF. Tourism. Back to SFO. Fly to one of the several southern California airports. L.A. tourism. Renting a car will make your life easier. Fly or drive to Las Vegas.

Random thoughts........

..... most foreign visitors don't pay the one way drop fee for car rentals between major California cities, Las Vegas, & Phoenix.

..... if you don't have to fly in & out of LAS, that can save some time & money (internal flights are about $50 to $100)

..... many families will be on Spring Break in the first or second week of April, so some places will be more crowded

.... Yosemite is better during the week (fewer people!)

.... www.SunriseSunset.com can help plan daylight hours for any month

.... Each forum page has some great info linked to their Top Questions. On the SF page, read about cable cars (not trams), where to stay, how to transfer into the City from SFO, and such. On the L.A. page, read tons about tourism, where to stay, where to shop, and all else. Post your question after you've read some of the info, and let folks know about your travel group and travel style (adults who love nightlife, teens who love outdoor activities, family with toddlers, etc.)

-----------------------

I just realized that this IS the Los Angeles forum page. I thought we were on the California state page; that's the one most folks use for planning. Read the CA page for info about the Hwy 1 drive thru Big Sur. And thank you L.A. forum folks, for allowing some general itinerary planning to occur on your page!

Edited: 12 September 2011, 14:40
North east england
Level Contributor
694 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please! San fran, LA, vegas aug 2012 ?!?!

Yes we already have our trip planned, I booked early, what with us getting married while there.

As this is my hubbie-to-be's first trip to USA, we have decided to fly in between the cities, next time.....I think we will do a bit of a road trip.... driving and stopping off at different places on the way!! I just thought I'd let him get used to america first! :)

We are flying Virgin from UK to USA, and using US airlines for internal flights. Travelling May 2012 - can't wait!!!

South West UK
Level Contributor
234 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help please! San fran, LA, vegas aug 2012 ?!?!

You could always fly into San Fran with Virgin or B.A. and out of Vegas

Enjoy SF for 3-4 nights > If it's a summer trip try coinciding with a Baseball game for the Giants at AT&T Park, Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz (book tickets from the UK), Fisherman's Wharf, Lombard St, Chinatown, shopping, the cable cars and the trams of course. Then pick up a car a drive down the coast road to L.A (superb scenery) > inc Carmel for a quick stop-off, 17 mile drive, Hearst Castle and maybe an overnight stay at Pismo Beach or Santa Barbara to break the coast road trip.

L.A for 3-4 nights > Renaissance Hollywood was a good choice of hotel for us recently. Universal was a pleasant surprise, Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills, Hollywood itself, Santa Monica or Venice Beach.

Then drive onto Vegas > A lot of people recommend flying into Vegas but we love the drive (around 4-5 hrs with a stop-off to eat) We loved THEhotel, but many find it too far south on the strip. As you've been before you will no doubt have your own favourite

Advantage B.A have is you could fly in and out of LHR whereas Virgin would be out of LHR to SF but back to LGW from Vegas

Have great fun planning it

London
Level Contributor
162 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help please! San fran, LA, vegas aug 2012 ?!?!

Thanks for the advice so far people.....

For those that may require more info we are a young couple who love america in every possible way!

We intend to fly into SF first if possible etc - want to do the usuals and we LOVE sports so if theres baseball we would love to go to a game!

We ideally want to pick up a car and drive the coast to LA possibly stopping at a nice beach area - again some low cost accomodation options for this would be brilliant!

L.A (Thanks for the hotel advice!) We want to do all of the usuals here!! But not disney / seaworld as we have probably over done this in Orlando! But we will do Universal etc. and Warner Bros studio as desperate to see the friends set i pray its still there :S

Then drive onto Vegas!! We may fly depending on costs but the drive might allow us to see a different part of the US so we shall see...... ! No hotel advise needed here we just need to make our minds up! Encore was amazing last time but love positioning of Bellagio / Planet Hollywood so again we shall see!

Coming back into different london airports not a problem as we live near london anyways :D

Thanks so much!

Fullerton...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help please! San fran, LA, vegas aug 2012 ?!?!

As for the baseball game, just depends on the timing of your trip. Baseball season runs from late April through September (October if the team makes the playoffs). You'll have your choice of team so see...In SF, the Giants or across the Bay, the A's. In SoCal, the Dodgers or Angels (my Team).

There are actually lots of other professional sports to see, it just depends on when you are here (American Football, for instance, just started this weekend, plus Hockey, Basketball).

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help please! San fran, LA, vegas aug 2012 ?!?!

@Nufc165, you plan on using taxi's in LA for everything? I hope you're aware that taxis in LA are very expensive.

London
Level Contributor
162 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help please! San fran, LA, vegas aug 2012 ?!?!

Baseball will probably be our preferred option as it will be August and we havnt done a baseball game before :) we love basketball but obviously wont be the right time :(

North east england
Level Contributor
694 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help please! San fran, LA, vegas aug 2012 ?!?!

We arent hiring a car, therefore we'll have to rely on taxi's, public transport and good old walking.... We are staying at the renassiance, so hopefully we are central to most things.

We are there for four days, so hopefully not too bad. Haven't really got a choice as not hiring a car, 1st time in the USA for my partner although i've been before (but not to LA) and we were a bit worried about the driving around LA, we don't know the area or the roads.