We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth popping to Camarillo for the sales?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Worth popping to Camarillo for the sales?

I am staying in LA for a couple of days for the sole purpose of looking for bras (G/H cup) Large shoes (womens 12+) and hiking gear. I have found out about Camarillo, but I know this is about 100km from LA. Do you think the sales/range/prices out there are worth spending a day?

PS - Does anyone know in general where the large bra/dressy large shoe stores are?

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
318 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth popping to Camarillo for the sales?

I like it and I've done day trips (I live 80 miles from there), so I think it's worth it.

Here's a list of the stores:

premiumoutlets.com/outlets/store_listing.asp…

Edited: 29 September 2011, 15:25
Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth popping to Camarillo for the sales?

Welcome, trekstargeo, to the Los Angeles forum.

I've read up on what you have posted already at least in part, and I can see that the Camarillo Premium Outlets would be a good choice for shopping for what you are looking for. My Sweet Polly Purebred and I have found that Maidenform is a good store for bras for her, and they did carry larger bras of the DD/F/G/H sizes, as well as smaller sizes.

As for women's shoes of 12+ size, I couldn't tell you for certain. I'd check with the 37 (I counted them!) different shoe stores there. . . Here's the home page link: www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp… and here's the store listing with telephone numbers, which should prove helpful in winnowing down the right store that may help you: premiumoutlets.com/outlets/store_listing.asp… Yes, they have an Ugg Australia shoe store there, so there should be at least one store you may already be familiar with.

Camarillo Premium Outlets also has a North Face store for your outdoor wear needs, as you asked in a previous post.

This factory outlet destination outdoor "mall" is where we go for shopping when selection and prices are important to consider. I think considering you are an international traveler that you would be pleased with your visit here. You already know of the value you get in the United States vs. Australia regarding the current exchange rate. Camarillo is an excellent "bang for the buck" shopping venue which both locals and travelers visit. From your perspective there are bargains to be had here.

A side note: your outdoor wear purchases would be better done in Boulder, Colorado where there is a very active outdoor ethos with stores to match. Cold weather clothing for where you are headed in Iceland - the selection here is not necessarily as suited to cold weather as much as Boulder's is. Easier to get around Boulder than it is to get around the extremely large and vast Los Angeles metropolitan area/Southern California. I speak from experience, as I have "tech dog" (brother) living there.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth popping to Camarillo for the sales?

OK, there are quite a few Outlet Malls in the area, and they keep expanding. IMHO, if you are willing to drive a hour or so, go to the websites and check the list of stores and see if the center is offering things you are interested in.

OK, the two closest are the Citadel Outlets in Southern Los Angels County and The Outlets at Orange (used to be known as the Block of Orange) near Disneyland.

To the east are two choice, Ontario Mills, a mixed-use mall, but mostly Outlets, and then the combination of Cabazon and Desert Hills (Two separate centers right next door to each other).

www.citadeloutlets.com/go/dirlisting.cfm…

www.simon.com/mall/malldirectory.aspx?id=1236

www.simon.com/mall/malldirectory.aspx?id=1258

www.cabazonoutlets.com/go/dirlisting.cfm…

premiumoutlets.com/outlets/store_listing.asp…

And the Camarillo Outlet Directory is in the link above.

Here is a set of recent LA Times articles that talk about Outlet Centers in Southern California. The first article has a marked map on the left side of the article.

latimes.com/business/…1160071.story

latimes.com/business/…5508394.story

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,004 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth popping to Camarillo for the sales?

Specialty stores have been my best source of unique size undergarments. Nordstrom and Macy's have extensive lingerie departments. There are also some on-line stores that may be willing to ship items to your hotel. If they don't fit, mail them back. Lane Bryant has some larger undergarments as well.

Nordstrom carries shoes up to size 12 and sometimes larger. Zappos.com has lots of sizes and has free shipping for returns. A quick check with Google shows more on-line options for sizes 12 - 15.

Hiking gear: REI is still my favorite, but again, you can order on-line and return what doesn't work. If you're just looking for basic clothing, also try Sports Authority or Big5. Keep an eye on the quality ~ it varies.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,220 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth popping to Camarillo for the sales?

It would be a huge waste of time for you to drive all the way to the outlet. as mentioned, just go to Nordstrom here, especially since you have so little time.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,000 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worth popping to Camarillo for the sales?

Try this list of vendors from Yelp. I agree. Driving to Camarillo is not worthwhile. For those sizes, specialty stores tend to be better.

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=plus+size+bras&find_loc=Los+Angeles%2C+CA

Nordstroms, while I'm sure the products will be superb, the prices will be very high. For Macy's, I remember selection was good depending upon the location, the size of the store. However, they tended not to have a lot of these items in stock. On the other end of the spectrum, I remember years ago finding a surprisingly good selection at Sears.

HTH

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,370 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worth popping to Camarillo for the sales?

Your telephone is your best tool. Call ahead to wherever you plan to visit and ask if they have what you're looking for. I'm another big fan of Camarillo (huge number of stores, lots of free parking in an OUTDOOR setting (who needs stuffy indoor malls?) but call first

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worth popping to Camarillo for the sales?

FYI, every outdoor mall that I know of in Southern California is an Outdoor setting, with the exception of Ontario Mills.

The Outlet centers in Las Vegas and Primm are indoors, mainly due to the very hot summers.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,294 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worth popping to Camarillo for the sales?

I believe HSJ is commenting that Outdoor malls are more to their liking than Indoor malls ie. South Coast Plaza.

I am quite positive that HSJ knows that Outdoor malls are outdoors and Indoor malls are, well.....indoors.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worth popping to Camarillo for the sales?

I missed a word, "Outlet" mall, commenting that places like Citadel, The Outlets at Orange, and the Cabazon/Desert Hills centers are all outdoor based. The stores themselves are indoors, except for the small carts placed in the middle of the sidewalks.