We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport shuttle from LAX

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Airport shuttle from LAX

Hi there,

I am looking for the easiest and cheapest way to get to our hotel in Hollywood from LAX airport and found some websites for booking airport shuttles online. Is it necessary to book them prior to arrival, or they are just as easily available at the airport when we arrive?

Is there a price difference if we booked online versus getting one when we get there?

Thank you!

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport shuttle from LAX

Hello, milkcandies, and welcome to the Los Angeles forum.

Some tips from a native and a former driver of these type shuttles - I was a driver when the market for shuttles was rather new, and the market couldn't get enough of this service:

*Seeing you are an international traveler coming from Singapore, my guess is you are arriving in the wee hours of the late night. If so, it's best to make reservations so that a van is ready to serve you and take you to your destination. Not too many drivers enjoy staying out all night, and for the ones that do, they do so to get the business. Way back when the shuttle industry was new, I remember seeing the holding lot for the shuttle vans empty or nearly so in those late night hours. Not good if you are the weary traveler trying to get to a hotel. Book the shuttle.

*Prime Time Shuttle or SuperShuttle are the two largest companies in this market segment. You would be best served by sticking to them. Their reliability and equipment are better and newer than their competitors, and are recommended here on TripAdvisor.

*Back in the days when I drove shuttles, pickups/dropoffs at hotels were always less than going to a private residence. Significantly less, even. There's business and competitive reasons for this, of course. So I would expect a hotel dropoff rate to be less than a residential rate. Ask the company and the driver for this hotel rate. Give them the name of the hotel as well.

*Tip the driver 20 per cent if they are on time and knowledgeable about efficient routing to your hotel, and courteous. Less than that if they are not delivering what is expected. Note: "On time" means YOU telephone the shuttle company when you have ALL your luggage ready and are ready to go out the door to the passenger waiting zone, and you give the shuttle van driver 20 to 30 minutes to get to your location at the shuttle van stop. Yes, it takes that long. LAX is a large and busy airport. . . give the driver a break. Please be very, very patient. I speak from experience here.

Price difference? Back when I drove shuttles, there was a ten or twenty per cent difference in booking beforehand versus calling for a shuttle upon arrival. Contact the company you choose and ask them to be sure.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,535 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport shuttle from LAX

Rarely do 'easiest' and 'cheapest' occur at the same time.

Your airfare per person from Singapore will be about $1000 per person return. Your transfer time will be about 24 hours (including layover). After arriving at LAX, you'll spend 60 to 90 minutes in customs, immigration, etc. You'll arrive tired and jet-lagged.

Two 'shared van' (what you call 'shuttle') seats will cost a total of $30. A taxi will cost about $20 more and get you there in half the time and with much less hassle: You'll exit the terminal, get into the next taxi and go directly to your hotel. What could be easier?

Take a taxi.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport shuttle from LAX

Hi there,

Thank you very much for your advice, they are indeed very helpful!

In fact, I will be visiting New York and Las Vegas before I get to Los Angeles. From Las Vegas to Los Angeles is only less than 2 hours flight, so it's not that tormenting. Very thoughtful of you both to consider my travelling time, though.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
563 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport shuttle from LAX

i am going the shared van option as recommended by my hotel , its on $15 as against $8.50 using the bus/metro

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport shuttle from LAX

I ended up taking taxi from the airport which cost about $60 including tips, and shared van at $15 per person for the return. The shared van was very punctual!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,535 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport shuttle from LAX

Which shared van company did you use?

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
286 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport shuttle from LAX

i like karmel shuttle. 99% of the time u have the van to yourself and they dont circle the aiport looking for customers.

8. Re: Airport shuttle from LAX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2013, 10:24