We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving HWY 1 from Santa Monica to Big SUR

Louisville,KY
Level Contributor
290 posts
313 reviews
Save Topic
Driving HWY 1 from Santa Monica to Big SUR

Are there any areas , espescially around LA ,that it would be better to bypass HWY 1 on a trip north on HWY 1 from Santa Monica to Carmel? Plan on taking 4 days for trip up and back down. Interested in the scenery.

Thanks. Chuck

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,447 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving HWY 1 from Santa Monica to Big SUR

Sure.

You can take the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) through Santa Monica, Malibu, the famous "County Line" area where you may see some surfers, the southern Ventura County coastal area, Pt Mugu, then continue to the Oxnard / Port Hueneme area (pronounced "Why-knee-mee")

From there follow the signs to Hwy 101, also known as the Ventura Freeway. Take this north to San Luis Obispo where you can connect on the beautiful Hwy 1 to points north.

Places to stop..... Camarillo for Outlet Shopping (seems to be a popular thing with visitors), Ventura harbor, Santa Barbara, Buellton / Solvang, and San Luis Obispo.

Dr Z

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,752 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving HWY 1 from Santa Monica to Big SUR

I'm not understanding the idea of "bypass". Highway 1 from Santa Monica through Malibu and into Oxnard is a beautiful drive and much easier than navigating the freeways, so there's no reason to bypass anything and to just stay on the highway.

You will be forced onto the 101 in Oxnard/Camarillo where you will remain until San Luis Obispo where there's a Highway 1 exit.

Louisville,KY
Level Contributor
290 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving HWY 1 from Santa Monica to Big SUR

OK. If I understand right, just stay on Higway 1 the whole way except from Oxnard to San Luis Obispo where you have to get on 101 and then back on #1.

Thanks.

Louisville,KY
Level Contributor
290 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving HWY 1 from Santa Monica to Big SUR

PS: My meaning of "bypass" was if it was too congested or not worthwhile (scenery) on any areas on Hwy 1. Think I got it now. We really enjoyed our trip on Highway 1 in Northern CA and look forward to this leg also.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,447 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving HWY 1 from Santa Monica to Big SUR

Yes, you are correct.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,680 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving HWY 1 from Santa Monica to Big SUR

I, too, suggest you stop in Solvang. Unusual, pretty, and outstanding Danish pastry shops.

7. Re: Driving HWY 1 from Santa Monica to Big SUR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 01:19