We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best timing for driving out of los angeles towards las vegas

Hello! We'll be staying in Hollywood for 2 days. On Wednesday (7 Dec), we'll be driving to Las Vegas. I've read that it's best to avoid the rush hours. Would that be 7.30 - 9.30 am? What then is the best time to set out and which routing to take to reach I15?

If we only set out at 10 am, what can we do between 8 - 10 am? I've read that there is a farmer's market in Santa Monica. But worried about traffic jams in getting there and also if there is problem finding parking. Any suggestions? Thank you!

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best timing for driving out of los angeles towards las vegas

Going to Santa Monica is the wrong direction so I wouldn't do that. I would just have breakfast and leave about 9.

Edited: 01 November 2011, 15:09
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,628 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best timing for driving out of los angeles towards las vegas

You sure as heck do not want to head to Santa Monica on a day you plan to leave for Las Vegas. That is a recipe for traffic disaster.

The simplest way to get to the I-15 from Hollywood is to take the 101 Freeway to the 134 Freeway. The 134 becomes the 210 Freeway and the 210 ends at the 15 Freeway.

On a side note, no one in So Cal uses the "I" in front of interstates and almost never says "freeway" after the number, so a local would say, "take the 101 to the 134 that turns into the 210 and you hit the 15 that way".

Fullerton...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best timing for driving out of los angeles towards las vegas

Funny, Scott...a friend from Minnesota noted that we always say "the" 101, "the" 210, as though freeways were people. I responded that I spend so much time on them that indeed, they could be my best friend...or more usually my worst enemy ;0

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,693 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best timing for driving out of los angeles towards las vegas

I grew up as a kid, listening to my parents in the 50's, using the expressions, take the Artesia east to Disneyland, the San Berdo to the mountains, or the San Diego north or south of LAX, etc. Never called them by numbers until I started reading TA, and have to explain to tourists exactly how to get somewhere.

Toronto
Level Contributor
219 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best timing for driving out of los angeles towards las vegas

We will be doing the same drive. Anything worth seeing along the way. Not in a big rush to get to Vegas.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,987 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best timing for driving out of los angeles towards las vegas

Calico Ghost Town. Some people think it's a tourist trap. We like it.

If you go to the Barstow forum, a local recently put up an amazing thread about things to do out that way (almost an infinite number of things to do, if you really like the desert). None of it had to do with shopping.

Of course, if you're starting from Sta Monica, all of L.A. is "on your way" to Las Vegas. If you're starting from Hollywood, you still could stop at any number of places in L.A. on your way out. Many people find old Route 66 interesting - and it goes through Pasadena, which is sort of on the way.

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best timing for driving out of los angeles towards las vegas

Hello, Cold in Canada. Here's a link just for folks just like you who have some time to burn on the way to Las Vegas. It's written from north to south, Barstow to Victorville, though. Just reverse the itinerary details. Here's the link: tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i26857-Barstow_…

And here's the thread Cookie D mentioned about all the things you can do around the general Barstow vicinity: tripadvisor.com/…36195503

Hope this information is helpful to you.

Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best timing for driving out of los angeles towards las vegas

Thanks, everyone for the advice and information. Very useful; glad i asked.

California
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best timing for driving out of los angeles towards las vegas

You can leave Hollywood any time that day and you should be OK. Even during morning rush hour. In the morning, for the most part, you'll be going against rush hour traffic. The only part where you'll hit rush hour traffic is the 101 Freeway from Hollywood into Downtown L.A. Once you pass Downtown, you'll be OK.

10. Re: Best timing for driving out of los angeles towards las vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2012, 04:17