We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Downey to LAX Thanksgiving 6am flight...time to leave..

california
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
From Downey to LAX Thanksgiving 6am flight...time to leave..

Hello TA!

Does anyone know how the 105 frwy is from Downey to LAX early morning like 2:45 or 3 am going to LAX??

i Scheduled Prime time shuttle & they scheduled to pick us up @ 1:30am!!

I called, and they said I can switch it to 2:45am...

I don't want to miss my flight...

how busy you think the airport/frwy is at this time??

Thanks,

Yesi

Leaving to Chicago (Flying United) if that makes a difference.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,943 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Downey to LAX Thanksgiving 6am flight...time to leave..

When is your flight? There shouldn't be any traffic but, on the other hand, there shouldn't be many people heading to the airport at that hour. That means that Prime Time might have to drive a little bit 'out of the way' to pick up passengers which is why they gave you such an early pickup time.

They would know best how much time THEY WILL NEED to pick up your fellow passengers. It's not a question of how crowded the roads will be.

california
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Downey to LAX Thanksgiving 6am flight...time to leave..

Thanks!

my flight leaves at 6am...

to Chicago (flying United)

Im usually the last one Prime Time picks up because im right by the 105 frwy... and only 15 minutes to LAX... (without traffic of course)

i doubt they'll pick up anyone else after us...

just unsure of how busy it will be to get to lax... don't want to miss my flight... but don't want to "hang out" at the airport for 4 hrs... when i could be sleeping a bit! LOL

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
21,702 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Downey to LAX Thanksgiving 6am flight...time to leave..

The freeway should be free flowing, but it could be a zoo at the airport.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,953 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Downey to LAX Thanksgiving 6am flight...time to leave..

Normally I'd say the 105 would be free flowing at that time of the morning.

However, yesterday the entrance to LAX from the tunnel off the 105 was closed for hours due to the rain and cars getting stuck because of the flooded tunnel. I also heard Century Blvd. was closed too, so you never know when you need more time.

Too bad you can't spend the night in an airport hotel.

california
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Downey to LAX Thanksgiving 6am flight...time to leave..

Thanks to all!

Yeah it's a tough call... I wanted to stay close to the airport, but my budget is limited being that Chicago is expensive as it is, Nd the hotels at lax are expensive for Wednesday

... I called prime time 2 times and got 2 different suggestions!

1 that the freeways and the time will be longer go get there, and the other that they thought it was too early and I should switch it to a later time.

So, I'm still unsure if 1:30 is too early for a 6am flight...

Hollywood, CA
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: From Downey to LAX Thanksgiving 6am flight...time to leave..

1:30am is definitely too early for 6:00am flight. 105 has a carpool line, so even in a week day morning rush hour it should not take more than 50 minutes from Downey to LAX.

PrimeTime might have other pick ups for that date - that's probably why

california
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Downey to LAX Thanksgiving 6am flight...time to leave..

Thanks! ... i thought it was too early... i might bite the bullet and just stay at a hotel in LAX with free shuttle...

The Radisson is less than a mile and $89...free shuttle and pretty good reviews here on TA.

What do you think?

if i stay at the Radisson, and I take the shuttle at 4am, i should be ok?

We are not checking luggage.

Thanks!

Yesi

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Downey to LAX Thanksgiving 6am flight...time to leave..

So it sounds like you live in Downey. Does the rate you found include parking for the days you will be gone? Have you priced out driving yourself and parking? Have you considered a cab?

Hollywood, CA
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: From Downey to LAX Thanksgiving 6am flight...time to leave..

>> i thought it was too early... i might bite the bullet and just stay at a hotel in LAX with free shuttle...

I wouldn't trade nice spots like Santa Monica or Hollywood (or Downey if you have friends/family there) for LAX - it is absolutely nothing to do there unless you transferring between flights. Hotels which are in non-tourist places quite often are not served by tour companies, so I would put my priorities in a list like this:

1. What I would like to see/do in L.A., choose area

2. Where I would like to stay close to my goals

3. How easy it is to get to LAX

california
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Downey to LAX Thanksgiving 6am flight...time to leave..

driving myself is not an option, because when we come back, we actually arrive in John Wayne (orange County)... so, neither is leaving the car at an LAX hotel. :(

I have not priced out a cab... i just had this idea that it would be very expensive... i should try...

But we really like the idea of staying nearby (at the Radisson LAX)

I just have to call the hotel and ask if they stop at each terminal, or if they have 1 stop only.

United leaves from terminal 7 i believe, so it'd be a long walk if they leave us at terminal 1.

Thanks! let me know what you think.