We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels for Rose Bowl 2012

Moline, Illinois
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotels for Rose Bowl 2012

My college son and a couple friends are heading out from the Midwest to watch the WI Badgers. I am looking for affordable hotels for them. They may be flying and because of their ages, could not rent a car. I was trying to find a hotel that was either close to public transportation that would take them where needed...or had shuttles for the students. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help...he is soooo excited!!!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels for Rose Bowl 2012

OK, the LA Metro Gold Line (Light Rail) has operated extended hours for the Rose Bowl, so anywhere on the line should be a good choice.

http://www.metro.net/around/rail/gold-line/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Line_(Los_Angeles_Metro)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,954 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels for Rose Bowl 2012

I would look in downtown Los Angeles. Given that it is the week between Christmas and New Year, business travel is low and there should be some good bargains. If they are over 21, there are good bars, if not there is still a lot to be done and they can grab the subway to Hollywood and Pasadena.

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels for Rose Bowl 2012

Hello, Tracy, and welcome to TripAdvisor and the Los Angeles forum.

Your son and friends aren't going to be getting any hotel in Pasadena along Colorado Blvd. (the Tournament of Roses parade route). These book a year in advance, and at that, can prove to be on the expensive side.

Nearby cities to look for lodging: Arcadia, Monrovia, Duarte, Temple City, Alhambra, Monterey Park, Glendale. Further away: El Monte, Rosemead, West Covina, Industry, Covina, Glendora. The City of Los Angeles is a natural, of course, especially Hollywood and the Downtown LA area.

Using the "SEARCH" function at the top right of this page, entering the city, hotel name, etc. . . . in your case, something like "Arcadia hotels" will yield results that should prove useful. Keep repeating your search in different cities to get what you are looking for.

What is your price range. . . what do you consider affordable? Since this is during a very busy period for hoteliers in the area, as the Tournament of Roses and the Rose Bowl always is, prices are sure to be on the high side for any place you look at. The farther away the lodging is from Pasadena, the lower the price will be.

One strategy to use is to get a hotel/motel far enough away to not incur the premium of being near the Rose Bowl. Another is to look for economy lodging, like the Motel 6 chain. Other economy chains in Southern California are EZ 8 Motel, and Super 8. Check them out.

In conjunction with getting a room located far enough away to not be at a price premium, getting a door to door shuttle van from the lodging of your choice to the Rose Bowl may be the way to go. It's done every year. I've done it long ago back in the days when I used to drive for them. Prime Time Shuttle and Super Shuttle are the two largest shuttle ground transportation companies in the area (they are one merged company nowadays). Check them out. http://www.primetimeshuttle.com/ and http://www.supershuttle.com/

Another strategy is to get a room located on or near a major public transportation line. The two lines that will be moving a lot of people over the New Year's period for the Tournament of Roses and the Rose Bowl are he Gold Line (to Pasadena) and the Red Line (from Hollywood to Downtown Los Angeles, which transfers to the Gold Line). The Gold Line will be adding extra cars to deal with the extra passenger demand. Here's your link: http://www.metro.net/ There's a good number of lodgings in the Hollwood area, which is one of the less expensive parts of Los Angeles. Check them out. . . the " Top questions about Los Angeles " at the top right of this page has a question entitled, "Where to Stay in LA?" Look that over for more help and specifics.

There's bound to be other forum participants with more suggestions, and specific lodgings in mind, so I'll let them have their say. Once again, welcome, and I hope you will find the help you need here.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels for Rose Bowl 2012

Not sure about the Public Transit in the Downtown LA area early on January 2nd.... In 2010, the LA Metro System operated all its Rail Lines on expanded service, but not its bus lines.

metro.net/around/…

So make sure the Hotel/Motel is near a Subway/Rail station.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels for Rose Bowl 2012

A lot of Badger fans stay in the Santa Monica area for the Rose Bowl (I did last year). There is a "Party at the Pier" event that drew thousands of Badger fans there. Santa Monica can be a bit on the expensive side but there are cheaper hotels a bit further from the beach.

I am staying in the Venice Beach area this year to mix things up just a little bit.

Go Badgers!

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,988 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels for Rose Bowl 2012

An excellent and easy place to stay would be the Little Tokyo neighborhood of downtown LA.

The Miyako has availability on the 1st and 2nd, as of a few minutes ago:

www.miyakoinn.com/default.aspx…

Your son could take the nonstop "Flyaway Bus" service from LAX (any terminal) to Union Station, the main train station for LA. It runs around every 45 minutes. Make sure to get the Flyaway marked Union Station as there are others to different destinations.

From Union Station, take the Gold Line light rail, just one stop, to Little Tokyo. Then walk a block or two to the hotel. Little Tokyo is a lively pedestrian-friendly area, with lots of new trendy restaurants and traditional Japanese restaurants.

The next morning, walk back to the Gold Line station and take it into Pasadena. Easy as pie. If they want to get up early to see the parade, take the Gold Line to Lake Avenue, where the crowds are not as heavy as near the beginning of the parade route. Then get back on the Gold Line, go to Memorial Park Station, and from there either walk (1.75 mile, @ 40 minutes) or shuttle (from the Parsons parking lot) to the Bowl. The shuttle probably will take longer than the walk, frankly, given the waiting time on line. Its an easy and pleasant walk from the Memorial Park Gold Line station to the Rose Bowl. Just follow the crowds.

I'm amazed there is still room at this hotel. It is extremely well located for your purposes.

Moline, Illinois
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels for Rose Bowl 2012

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. The information was soooo helpful. He is booked and excited to go.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels for Rose Bowl 2012

From the alumni club says the santa monica bus is sold out but there is stia bus from hermosa beach

rosebowlbusunderground2012.eventbrite.com/

here is a bus from anaheim a little more money but disneyland has lots of cheap hotel and is a fun area

rose.bowlbus.com/…

Edited: 22 December 2011, 21:35
9. Re: Hotels for Rose Bowl 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2012, 10:20