We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hike Runyon Canyon, how long does it take?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
227 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hike Runyon Canyon, how long does it take?

Trying to plan out our days, does anyone have an idea how long it takes to hike up to the top of runyon canyon and back down? Is morning a good time to go, or is there usually fog??

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
236 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hike Runyon Canyon, how long does it take?

Morning is fine. The route can be blazing in the afternoon since there is no shade. Depending on how fast you are and how far you go, you could spend one to three hours. Parking in the area stinks, mind ALL the restrictions to avoid a ticket.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,934 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hike Runyon Canyon, how long does it take?

Me, I always park just off Mulholland and hike out to the view points, which are worthwhile. Parking always seems plentiful. 90 minutes to two hours is sufficient. I never understood the appeal of hiking up from Hollywood.

As pointed out, time of year is important. High summer at mid-day is not ideal. Definitely dress appropriately. Bring water and a snack or two.

Another hike idea is up from the Ferndell in Griffith Park up to the Observatory. I always like this in the winter and spring. If you're up to it, you can always keep going up to the top of Mount Hollywood. For this, I've give yourself a good 3-4 hours and pack a picnic.

HTH

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,256 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hike Runyon Canyon, how long does it take?

Just to be clear, Runyon Canyon Park has 2 entrances. The south entrance is at the top of Fuller Av in Hollywood. The north entrance is on Mulholland Drive along the ridgeline of the Hollywood Hills. The south entrance has just street parking which can be difficult since LOTS of people walk their dogs in the park. Try to visit during times that aren't popular with dog walkers (10 a.m., 1 a.m.?). If you're visiting on a weekend, it's busy most of the time.

The northern entrance which is at a higher elevation (at the top of the hill) has a parking lot which can sometimes get full but there's parking along Mulholland Drive as well. If you enter from the north (or even if you hike up from the bottom), there is a seldom-used trail that goes UP from Mulholland. If you take it to the VERY TOP (about 7 minutes), you'll experience THE BEST view of L.A. Period!

Re: timing, there are 2 trails that climb the west and east walls of the Canyon. If you climb the western trail, it's less steep but it takes longer and is the most popular with people with dogs. If you climb the eastern trail, parts of it are quite steep (not 'rock climbing' steep but definitely steep on terrain that can be slippery (lots of little pebbles that can slide under your feet if you don't have good shoes).

The upward trek will take about 30 minutes; the downward trek will take about 20 minutes. These times will bring you to the rear of the canyon but not quite to Mulholland which is 'set back' from the rear canyon wall so when you reach the top (which 'loops around' so that you can descend along the opposite wall from which you climbed), there's a perpendicular path that will take you past a few unique homes (one with a barn with horses and cows!) and will end on Mulholland (about an 8-minute walk). Just before you hit Mulholland, look to the left and you'll see the 'upward trail' I mentioned above. Leave yourself some time to rest and enjoy the view one or more times.

Have fun!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
227 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hike Runyon Canyon, how long does it take?

Thanks everybody! I was looking at a map of the canyon, is it marked with A,B and C trails? It is on this map I printed out. I'm thinking we want to go on A, which is the "dog" route. Where should we park for A, on Fuller Ave? Will we know where to go, is it marked?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,256 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hike Runyon Canyon, how long does it take?

If you can park on Fuller, that would be the closest but the neighborhood is packed with apartment and condo buildings so street parking is always difficult. Just drive around and see what you can find. There are 2 entrances:

1. The one at the top of Fuller Av.

2. One, a little bit to the west, at the end of tiny Runyon Canyon Road which is east of the north end of Vista Street.

Here's a map showing the two entrances:

http://mapq.st/vZsRXG

The above map doesn't show the trails very well. Here's a better one (link and scroll most of the way down and you'll see the trail map on the left, near the bottom of the page):

hikespeak.com/trails/…

Here's an overview (ignore the 'green hikers' on the left side of the page as they are not in Runyon Canyon):

The easiest trail is the one in the middle so if you enter from the top of Fuller Av (where the 'green hikers' on the right are standing), you would simply walk through the entrance gates to the Park and continue walking up the slightly-inclined, well-paved road. This Park was, previously a huge estate with a home perched above. The Park road that starts at the top of Fuller Av was simply the driveway on the way to that home. Along it, you can still see the foundations of 'guest houses' that were located on the driveway. Okay, I digress. For the easiest trail, you'll walk for just about 40 seconds, past a fenced-in lawn area on the left, and you'll see a trail going off to the left. Follow it for another 40 seconds and a gate will appear in front of you (that's the other entrance to the Park).

1. If you bear to the right, just before the gate (the trail does this), you'll be on the trail that leads along the western wall of the Canyon. This is the trail with the gentlest incline and, as a result, it is the longest trail. It is also the one most popular with dog walkers so if you're not a dog person, you won't be very happy.

2. Just as you are bearing right to join this trail (and just to the right of the second entrance to the Park), is a 'rock face' of a sort with a trail cut into it. This is the left-most trail and it is by far, the most challenging, It climbs high onto the Canyon Wall and has some of the best views on the way up including views of Wattles Park (to the west of Runyon).

3. Let's go back to the main entrance on Fuller. If you head north, walking past the left turn to the 2 trails I've mentioned above, you'll be walking along the floor of the Canyon. A couple of minutes later, there will be a 'switch back' (hard right U-turn) which will take you back toward the mouth of the Canyon but at a higher elevation. You'll pass a tennis court on the right and just beyond it, steps before you reach an amazing scenic overlook (mini-peninsula) the remnants of the foundation of the original house can still be seen. (The City has been tearing it down over the last few years so if you can't spot it, it could be gone by now). Up until now, this trail is pretty easy. However, after the stop at the overlook, turn around and look for the wooden staircase that will take you up onto the right face of the Canyon Wall. The second half of the trek is challenging, especially if you don't have shoes with good traction since the trail has lots of areas with loose sand and pebbles. I do not recommend coming DOWN this trail unless you have shoes with good traction unless you like to slip and slide a bit.

As indicated on the map, the middle and right-side trails meet one another at the top. The left-most trail ends farther north -- closer to Mulholland Drive. No matter which trail you select, I recommend walking to Mulholland and taking the upward trail that you'll find near the Mulholland entrance to the Park. It's a short trek (about 7 minutes) but the views will be like nothing you've ever seen.

Have fun!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
155 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hike Runyon Canyon, how long does it take?

HDJ gave his usual in depth report. One correction there are two entrances from Franklin Ave, one at Fuller and the other from Vista. I usually use the Vista entrance for some reason. If you are going for the biggest cardio experience, once you are through the gate, which is up Vista and turn right, you can go a bit and turn left up the hill. Anybody can help you there. But 90-120 minutes is about right.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,256 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hike Runyon Canyon, how long does it take?

Harlan, didn't I list the two entrances in my previous remarks? (Marked "1." and "2." at the top of my remarks).

8. Re: Hike Runyon Canyon, how long does it take?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2012, 10:16