We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in LA, near to Staple Centre & Hollywood?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in LA, near to Staple Centre & Hollywood?

Is my First time driving in LA, and spending 4 full days would like to get some advise and tips :)

I am driving down from Palm Springs after lunch to watch NBA on Tues night and will like to find somewhere nearby Staples Centre/Hollywood to spend my first night after the games and next day to Universal Studio for a day. Would like some recommendations for convenient and safe locations...

Budget for hotel ard 100-130 USD/Nite

Tue - NBA games at 7.30pm

Wed - Universal Studio

Thur - Walk of fame

Fri - Any recommendation where to go and stay

Sat - Any recommendation where to go and stay

Sun - Home sweet home

Thank you!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in LA, near to Staple Centre & Hollywood?

Staying in Hollywood would probably make the most sense on the first night as Universal Studios is only a short drive and you should be able to find some decent accom. in Hollywood for around your budget though you may find your budget a bit low for a 3 star type property unless you use hotwire. The downtown area often has some nice hotels on Hotwire too but to get to Universal Studios the next day you'd end up driving through Hollywood anyway and the drive will be much easier late at night after the game instead of Wed. morning during rush hour.

Note that the Walk of Fame is really a 1-2 hour activity (at least for the walk of fame itself, not including the things around there like Chinese or Kodak theater tour, Madam Toussad's etc.) so can probably be done the same day as Universal Studios and in any case won't take nearly all of Thursday, so you can plan other activities for that day.

As for where to go in the rest of your time, it would really depend on your interests. One possibility might be the Warner Brothers studio tour, which is in Burbank also not far from Hollywood. I'd also try to hit the Griffith Observatory one night and the Getty Center in Brentwood for at least a half a day.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,623 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in LA, near to Staple Centre & Hollywood?

That's a very low budget when you factor in the tax and parking you also have to pay. Also, you cannot be close to both Staples and Hollywood. Best to look in Hollywood, somewhere with free parking, that's simple, clean, safe, perhaps Motel 6 on Whitley.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in LA, near to Staple Centre & Hollywood?

Thx for the advise, probably I would increase my hotel budget to ard 150usd per nite.

What would you recommend me to do in Santa Monica or San Deigo?

Can you kindly also advise the rush hour in LA?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in LA, near to Staple Centre & Hollywood?

OK, here are a couple of highly rated Hotels at TA that are near the corner of Hollywood and Highland that might match your budget (it depends on the exact dates of stay).

http://www.orchidsuites.com/

http://magiccastlehotel.com

Are you planning a day trip to San Diego, or multiple days?

Santa Monica is a day trip, and can be accessed by Public Transit or the Hop On/Hop Off buses from the Hollywood area.

As for the plans for Universal Studios, do it as a full day trip, enjoy the park, and then check out CityWalk when the park closes. Easy access using the LA Metro Red Line so you can avoid the parking hassles and expense.

The next day, do the Walk of Fame and other things, and maybe book a tour of the area that interests you.

http://www.starlinetours.com/

http://www.citysightsla.com/

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,711 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in LA, near to Staple Centre & Hollywood?

Are you traveling alone? If so, you might consider giving up the car or using public transit to visit some of your destinations. You will pay for parking at most attractions: $15 at Universal (there is no place less expensive to park nearby) and about the same for Staples (although the price of parking lessens when you park further away from Staple; of course, doing so means longer walks to/from the car and there are also 'safety issues' as you park on in parking lots that are on less populated streets.

Here are some options:

1. Drive from Palm Springs to your hotel in Hollywood and either drop your car at a nearby car hire office or leave it at the hotel. Dropping it will save you the cost of parking (at attractions and possibly at your hotel) plus the cost of the car hire, petrol, etc.

2. Take the red line metro to downtown for Staples: $1.50 per ride or buy a DAY PASS for $5 for unlimited rides. The ride from central Hollywood to the 7th Street/Metro Center station takes 15 minutes and the trains run every 12 minutes. From there, either walk to Staples (10 minutes) or transfer to the blue line metro (additional $1.50 fare or show your DAY PASS) and ride it 1 stop (1 to 2 minutes) to the Pico Bl stop which is adjacent to Staples/

3. For your day at Universal, take the red line one stop northbound, getting off at Universal City station. (5 minutes). Cross to the diagonally-opposing corner and wait for the free tram 'up the hill' to Universal Studios.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in LA, near to Staple Centre & Hollywood?

Rush hour in LA is generally on Weekdays from roughly 7AM-9AM and then from 4-7PM, though traffic will be building and tapering off before/after those periods.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in LA, near to Staple Centre & Hollywood?

For downtown you may want to run a search on Expedia or similar, you never know who has a special rate eg Omni? Miyako, O Hotel

Another location that may work in your budget is Glendale

Going from PS the only realistic option is driving

Edited: 27 December 2011, 23:15
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in LA, near to Staple Centre & Hollywood?

==> DarkBeer

San Deigo I could go for 2D1N

==> Hopskipjump

I will be travelling with my partner

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in LA, near to Staple Centre & Hollywood?

Should I spend more time to Santa Monica or San Deigo?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in LA, near to Staple Centre & Hollywood?

Since my 1st night after NBA, we will head back to hotel and 2nd day follow by Universal Studio and 3rd day walkabout ard walk of fame, Kodak Theather, Madam Toussad's and etc

4th & 5th day probably stay ard Santa Monica - Any hotels to recommend?

Should it be better for us to stay in Orchard Suites (for example) or should i stay in a hotel nearer to Universal Studio? Based on my above planning.

Should it be better or easier for me to park the car at hotel and take a train to staples centre or drive and park near to staples centre as I need to arrive 2 hours earlier ard 5pm to collect the tickets before the game.

We are arriving in 31st Jan in LA, leaving on 5th feb noon, is kinda last min decision for this trip. Sorry for that many questions asis my 1st time and I do no have much knowledge abt LA.

Thanks in advance for all advise :)