We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is LA safe?

Wales, U.K
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
is LA safe?

Hi I am from the UK and I am going to LA for a few nights in 2 weeks time, and was wondering where to avoid in day/night and also is places like Hollywood, Rodeo Drive, The Grove, Santa Monica beach, all safe in day/night?

is the tube/rail/buses safe for tourists?

i have been to san fran and vegas 3 times before but never LA.

i know you have to be careful in any city but any info will be great

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is LA safe?

Are you driving or using public transportation? If you're driving then it's not a problem. If you're using public transportation at night then you will be passing through some areas that some might consider less than safe. Those areas in general are safe, however it's the transit to and from that might be a problem.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is LA safe?

I have been to all the places mentioned, at night, they're all fine. The metrorail and buses are fine at night too. Crime in Los Angeles has been dropping and the places you mention are almost all in lower crime neighborhoods of the city. You might want to avoid wandering off active streets into dark alleys in Hollywood at night, but that would be true anywhere.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,122 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is LA safe?

Crime is at all time lows here, as well as the rest of the U.S. Normal precautions should be followed: don't walk around dark streets at night or flash money, jewelry, smart phones around, and keep to areas where other people are. I do not recommend Venice Beach boardwalk at night and beaches anywhere are not a good idea at night by yourself.

Wales, U.K
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is LA safe?

hi thanks for all your replies. i dont think we would use public transport at night. daytime yes. and we have no plans to walk around dark streets and places away from public.

just wanted to make sure the places we want to go are ok

thanks u

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,253 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is LA safe?

I'm a former resident and frequent vistor for many years. There is NOWHERE in LA that a tourist is likely to go that is unsafe. Observe the same safey precautions that you would at home and you'll be fine.

I was once on Venice beach with my then small kids and got to talking to an out-of-town vistor who told me that she had been advised that Venice was unsafe and should be avoided, but her daughter insisted on going anyway, so there they were. She asked what I thought and I told her to look at the playground 20 feet away that was filled with small kids and that would answer her question.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,476 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is LA safe?

Yes. L.A. is very safe, including the areas you mentioned. Your concerns are overstated. Use sensible big-city smarts.

This question is asked often. The media perception is Los Angeles has a serious crime problem. This perception is rooted in the reality of the late 80's, early 90's when crime was a life-threatening issue for residents. Massive parts of the city were no-go zones. Random violent crime was pervasive. I recall a colleague whose mother was car-jacked at a mall in an affluent neighborhood. She was killed for a few hundred dollars. These kinds of crimes were too common.

Fortunately, this kind of crime isn't a problem anymore. Sure it is a big city and stuff happens. The reality is crime stats are way down. I used to live in downtown. Crime there is at levels not seen since the 1940's when the population was about the third of what it is now. This is emblamatic of crime across the entire city. L.A. is probably one of the safest big cities in the world. Compared to big cities like London or Paris which have some truly dangerous neighborhoods where even the police fear, L.A. has nothing like that now.

However, most people's perceptions are formed by the media. The media percpetion hasn't been updated. Movies like Boys in the Hood are still the template. They are hopelessly inaccurate. I remember seeing a film years ago called Training Day. The images of my downtown neighborhood suggested some gang members lay in wait to ambush the innocent. It was silly.

You want to avoid crime in L.A.? Stay out of Skid Row and public housing projects. Last guy I knew who got mugged was taking money out of an ATM after midnight in Skid Row. Go figure. I think you have the good sense to not do this.

So relax. Come enjoy the city of angels. Paradise beckons.

By the by, you might want to add The Getty Museum to you to do list. It is the city's #1 attraction.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d14…

HTH

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,199 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is LA safe?

I never felt unsafe in LA you got to use street smarts anywhere you go.

Wales, U.K
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is LA safe?

Hi Hitchkennedy. i think your post is spot on and i agree that the media builds things up that are not even true. i am very much looking forward to LA, i have been to san fran once and vegas 3 times, but LA is always somewhere that has appealed to me.

i was thinking about the getty museum, but we will definately pay it a visit. thanks to everyone for all your posts. it really helps

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is LA safe?

Parts of the Purple and Red lines (i.e. traversing Union Station/Japantown to west side) are not really what I would call "safe" at night but I agree that most of the trouble is going to be out on the street and not inside of the rail system.

Burbank, California
Level Contributor
84 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is LA safe?

Hitch's comments should be posted up on the FAQs for this forum. Great comments.

Having been born and raised in LA, I have seen the improvements in terms of erradicating crime all over the city as others have mentioned. That is no more truer than in Downtown LA. With the addition of the Nokia Live Center and rejuvination of many sectors of downtown LA it is devinately safer than the "movies" make it out to be.

We had the opportunity to go to Europe in 2010 and felt the most unsafest in the Paris! Shady characters waiting to put strings on your finger that cut off our circulation until you hand over some money?! LOL!