We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Los Angeles, where to stay? Rent a car?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Los Angeles, where to stay? Rent a car?

Flying into LA in April and have three days to explore prior to conference in Anaheim. Interests: shopping, nightlife, check out live taping of tv show, coast line, museum. 25 year old daughter coming. Need recommendation for hotel in safe area central to everything. Budget around $200 p/n Do I need to rent a car to get around LA area and explore wish list? Thanks in advance!

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Los Angeles, where to stay? Rent a car?

Start with our Top Questions on the right.

There is no one area of LA that's central to everything--it's too big. We don't reccomend hotels in unsafe areas--in fact there aren't all that many.

For three nights with a car, I'd probably look in West Hollywood, without a car I'd look in Hollywood itself. These are the most central neighborhoods in terms of visitor attractions, understanding that some attractions are still 20 miles away from them. West Hollywood is a little calmer, a little more upscale, appeals to a bit older crowd in nightlife, has a significant gay presence. Hollywood is very lively at night, cheaper to stay in, has better transit (notably the Red Line subway). You could also stay in Westwood by UCLA, which is closer to the beach, but it's not a very lively area, especially at night.

You could do your trip with or without a car, you just might wind up visiting somewhat different places. On transit from Hollywood, you could easily get to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art--LA's and biggest and (IMHO) best art museum. The Red Line can take you right to the Museum of Contemporary Art in Downtown LA, which is renowned in that field. You could easily get to television tapings at CBS Television City and to tapings at Warner Brothers Studios in Burbank. For shopping, you'd have a direct ride to The Grove/Farmers Market. You'd also have a pretty short ride to Beverly Center or the Beverly Hills Golden Triangle. It would take longer, maybe an hour, to take the bus out to Santa Monica and the beach (and shopping) there.

In general, though not always, you'll get places faster with a car. You'll also spend more money. In addition to your car rental rate, you'll probably pay $15-30 per night to park at a hotel in the price range you're talking about. You'll also pay a series of (generally small) parking charges at your destinations, at fancier restaurants it's often valet parking.

It really depends on what kind of trip you want.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,058 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Los Angeles, where to stay? Rent a car?

Based on your itinerary, I'd stay in Beverly Grove which is about as central as you can get in L.A. (Only Beverly Hills is more central but it's out of your price range and very 'sleepy' in the evenings).

Beverly Grove (which is called "Central Los Angeles" on the Trip Advisor 'hotel finder' section is packed with shopping (three major malls including outlets) and dozens and dozens of restaurants.

It's a 5-minute taxi drive to the Sunset Strip if live music venues, bars and lounges are your thing. LACMA -- the county art museum -- is a few minutes south of Beverly Grove and CBS "Television City" (studios) is in Beverly Grove next to the world famous Farmers Market.

In your price range, look at the Elan Hotel -- a highly-rated 3.5-star boutique hotel. Hotwire.com, a discounter is offering a 4.5-star property in April in the "Beverly Hills-West Hollywood area" for $227. This is MOST PROBABLY the L.A. Sofitel, a lovely, highly-ranked property in a prime area of Beverly Grove. If it were me, I'd stay there.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Los Angeles, where to stay? Rent a car?

Thanks for the feedback. I'm from the Toronto area and like LA numerous cities within the greater area. Will increase budget and stay in the West Hollywood area!

4. Re: 3 days in Los Angeles, where to stay? Rent a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2013, 10:22