We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay and what it efficient way to tour LA in 4 days

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay and what it efficient way to tour LA in 4 days

We have 4 days in Los Angeles arriving 29 April and leaving 4 May. We would like to stay in a hotel that is close to shops and restaurants, with a budget about $100/night. I was thinking of a hotel in downtown, but not sure if it is good idea.

I was planning to take guided tours for 2 days, and catch public transport to some sightseeing areas on the other two days. Advices on hotels and travel arrangements will be appreciated.

Thanks Jenny

We Love LA Tour
Private Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
La La Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Your L.A. Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, City Tours
Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay and what it efficient way to tour LA in 4 days

Hello Jenny, and welcome to TripAdvisor and the Los Angeles forum.

Is your budget set on spending $100 a night USD on lodging? If so, that will limit your choices more than you might like. Downtown LA and Hollywood are the two areas that would most interest you and be more reasonable on price. My own experience with Downtown LA of late - and I've had to do business there quite a bit in the last few weeks - is that having my Sweet Polly Purebred stay at a Downtown LA hotel owned by a hospital - Good Samaritan Hospital just west of the Financial District - is $89 a night. That's obviously an internal rate for hospital visitors only, not tourists, and as you might imagine, those not in that situation would be expected to pay more for rooms elswhere in the area.

I checked the Kyoto Hotel (the old New Otani Hotel) at 120 South Los Angeles Street on TripAdvisor, and they show a rate for two people of $169 a night. This is a very nice hotel that is well situated for shopping and restaurants in a safer area of Downtown LA than some others. It is also well situated for transit and a short walk to Los Angeles Union Station, where the Metro subways are and the Amtrak and Metrolink trains are as well. But again, I don't know if you can spring the cash for it or not.

What do you want to do in LA besides take the guided tours? It's *your* vacation, after all. A lot of people go to Universal Studios and the beach, and that would cover the two days out of the four. But again, there's lots to do here. The Getty Museum is very worthwhile to visit, and I would recommend a day for viewing. Or maybe you want to visit some sites where film and television production takes place. Vasquez Rocks (Los Angeles) County Park Natural Area is where a lot of Star Trek, the Flinstones, and the Lone Ranger have been filmed. It's in Agua Dulce, north and east of Los Angeles. You'd need a car to see it. . . great spot for hiking in the rocks and canyons (don't get lost in them, though) and a picnic lunch. Like I say, there's lots to do and see that is not "obvious" to the average tourist. So what would you like to see on your vacation with us?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay and what it efficient way to tour LA in 4 days

Downtown and Hollywood will be your best bets if you want to use public transportation, as these are both good public transportation hubs. Hollywood has the added advantage of being one of the main tourist areas with good tour options.

Unfortunately, a budget of $100 / night is on the low side for LA and will limit your hotel choices greatly. Note that hotel taxes add about 14% on to the stated rate for any room.

In Hollywood, generally you'll do best staying near the intersection of Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave. There's a subway station here, lots of bus service and LA's largest tour operator, www.starlinetours.com, stages their tours from there. The lower priced hotels include the Motel 6 on Whitley Ave., which should be in your budget or close to it, though its very, very basic, the Hollywood Celebrity Hotel, Orchid Suites, and the Best Western Hollywood Plaza, which will probably all be $130-150 including the room tax.

For planning your way around on public transit, you'll need the address of your hotel and the address of where you want to go. Then, use the trip planner located on the right side of the page at www.metro.net.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay and what it efficient way to tour LA in 4 days

I too would suggest the Hollywood area for its tourism, shops and restaurants .. all within walking distance.

Motel 6 would be one of the cheapest .. I know someone who stayed there. They said it was a comfortable bed, a hot shower and a telly. If that's what you want, go for it. It's not a 4 or 5 star .. but its clean and comfy and walking distance to everything, just off Hollywood Blvd. I've stayed at a few of these motels while criss crossing the US.

Have a look on their website.

Good luck.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,627 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay and what it efficient way to tour LA in 4 days

Your budget is too low for Los Angeles - especially when you figure in tax. You'll want to up it by about $50/night and then look in Hollywood.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay and what it efficient way to tour LA in 4 days

Royal Palace Westwood isn't far out of your price range, has decent $5 express Flyaway transport from LAX to within 2 blocks of hotel, and great bus service everywhere since it is near the University. Lots of $ dining nearby as well, area caters to students.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay and what it efficient way to tour LA in 4 days

People have suggested Downtown, Hollywood, and Westwood, any of which could make sense. Downtown is the furthest east, Hollywood is in the middle and Westwood is the furthest west. Downtown has the best transit connections, but Hollywood is on the subway and has bus service to a number of areas. Westwood has good bus service, but mostly to the western part of the city and the beach, such as Santa Monica. Unless you wanted to focus on the Westside, I'd stay in Hollywood or Downtown.

The Metro Plaza Hotel, across from Union Station on the edge of Downtown LA, gets moderately good reviews and should come in around $100 per night. It's possible that you could get the Miyako in Little Tokyo, a somewhat nicer hotel, for $100 per night or close. Another possibility is the Travelodge Vermont/Sunset, which is between Downtown LA and Hollywood, right next to the Vermont/Sunset Red Line station. There's lots of bus service there too, and lots of good restaurants and interesting shops to walk to.

7. Re: where to stay and what it efficient way to tour LA in 4 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2013, 10:21