We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celebrity spotting in LA

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Celebrity spotting in LA

Where am I likely to spot a celebrity in LA?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,658 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Celebrity spotting in LA

Nobu in Malibu.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,416 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Celebrity spotting in LA

At a taping of a show such as Jay Leno or Jimmy Kimmel.

Dr. Z

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,518 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Celebrity spotting in LA

There's a list of celebrity hangouts in our FAQs section -- a link at the top of the Topic List.

Edited: 16 January 2012, 00:52
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,721 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Celebrity spotting in LA

Celebrities aren't in any one spot. You might see someone recognizable while out and about.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,920 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Celebrity spotting in LA

At a Lakers or Clippers game.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
563 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Celebrity spotting in LA

you have a less than 1% chance of seeing a celeb and judging by where your from an even less chance as you could be standing next to a big name celeb from a high rated tv show and not know who the hell they are

i am going to LA next month and been english am not up with current US sitcoms/dramas etc so wouldnt know who to look for

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Celebrity spotting in LA

Hello kylfth, and welcome to the Los Angeles forum.

Here's a place most people would overlook: a court building. I was called for jury duty of late, and there in the jury assembly room (closed to visitors) was an up and coming actor who has already starred in shows such as 24 and Desperate Housewives:Los Angeles. We got to visit most of the morning one day. His biggest concern was that he could get off of jury duty. . . the Winter is the time of the year when there are many auditions and casting calls, and he aims to go to as many of these as possible.

A little known fact: Alex Trebek was called for jury duty once, and he was eventually excused from service after he answered the voir dire questions from the judge. Perhaps being the host of the Jeopardy! television game show is more important than serving on a jury. . . who knows? (wink)

I wouldn't recommend going to or even near the jury assembly room to spot a film or television star. . . that would be far too intrusive. Perhaps staying out of the building watching people enter might be allowable. . . but then there are loitering laws that take effect.

It was a thought.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,631 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Celebrity spotting in LA

Underdog: I sat next to Leonard Malton (movie critic) a couple of years back on jury selection (he stayed, I was excused). The judge was so excited she got the bailiff to bring him back to her chambers. We could hear her fawning from the courtroom. I didn't think it was such a big deal until her reaction!

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,920 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Celebrity spotting in LA

you have a less than 1% chance of seeing a celeb and judging by where your from an even less chance as you could be standing next to a big name celeb from a high rated tv show and not know who the hell they are

---------

I don't know why you'd say that. Just because someone is from Singapore don't mean they don't recognize US celebs. With the internet people from all over the world watch shows from the US.

santa rosa, ca
Level Contributor
668 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Celebrity spotting in LA

My sister-in-law worked at a McDonald's on Ventura Blvd. one summer and saw quite a few *celebrities*. You have to really pay attention, though, because most of them look quite drab in the light of day without professionally done hair, make-up, glamorous clothes, etc

When we lived there we saw celebs at gas stations, ATMs, getting Starbucks, etc . If you are driving around and see a bunch of motorhomes clustered together, chances are this is a film crew getting set up for some location shots.....my other SIL (about 14 years old at the time) saw John Travolta getting ready to film at one of these.... She shyly said *Hi John*. He lifted his head up, smiled and waved at her...aawww.