We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does this itinerary sound do-able / what would you change?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
269 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Does this itinerary sound do-able / what would you change?

We are coming to LA for spring break for 5 days. Have already purchased the Go LA Card and am planning on trying to hit the 3 main parks to keep my 13 year old happy. With the Go LA card admission is included basically thru 5pm so here's what I'm thinking is a good plan:

Day 1 arrive at 11am / rent car and drive to K-1 Speed Circuit (in Gardena). Leave there by 3pm and head to Long Beach for Queen Mary tour. Stay in Long Beach for the night.

Day 2 leave Long Beach early and drive to Knotts Berry Farm. Closes at 6pm, drive all the way up to Valencia that evening and stay the night there.

Day 3 Six Flags and drive to Hollywood area that evening and stay there.

Day 4 Universal Studios / City Walk

Day 5 WB VIP tour and Hollywood cheesy things (wax museum, hollywood museum, Kodak Theatre tour).

Trying to plan most drives that are a far distance in the evenings to avoid heavy traffic. Will this help?

What do you think or what would you change if anything?

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,899 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does this itinerary sound do-able / what would you change?

You already know you are doing a lot of driving, but if that is okay with you, I think you've planned your trip pretty well. Sounds like a dream trip for a 13 year old!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
360 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does this itinerary sound do-able / what would you change?

I just have a couple of traffic concerns for days 2 and 3.

On the day you leave Knotts, have dinner down there somewhere before you head north to Valencia. Leaving Knotts at 6 puts you right into heavy traffic. Tune your radio to AM KNX1070 and listen for traffic reports every 5 minutes on "the 5s", you will be on the north bound 5 freeway so keep your ears peeled for problems. Or, you can look at sigalert.com on the internet.

Day 3 you can have some heavy traffic on the southbound 101, you might want to leave Six Flags around 3 or so. Where are you staying in Hollywood?

Assume you are flying into and out of LAX? Where are you sleeping on day 5?

Evening rush "hour" is about 4 to 7 and some routes are ridiculously heavy, depending on your direction.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
269 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does this itinerary sound do-able / what would you change?

I figured we wouldn't attempt the long drives until after 7 ish. We'll eat dinner when we leave the parks that close at 6 before we do the drives.

On day 3 we are staying at Hol Inn Express Walk of Fame on Highland, actually planning to stay there day 3, 4 and 5 as I have some points to redeem and that seems to be the best rated Holiday Inn to get the bang for our buck.

We are flying in and out of LAX....Thanks for the traffic report radio station info...we'll be sure to tune in for that.

4. Re: Does this itinerary sound do-able / what would you change?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2013, 10:21