We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

questions about rental cars

Roseville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
526 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
questions about rental cars

Hello. We are a family of three heading to the L.A. area in October. we want to start our vacation at the Disneyland Hotel and stay there 4 nights. We'll then spend 4 nights in the San Fernando valley (where I grew up). here is our discussion tonight and perhaps some of you will have advice for us. We won't need a car while at Disneyland but we will need one for the second half of the trip. We'll fly into LAX as that seems to have the best rates. I've looked into what the shuttle will cost us round trip to/from LAX if we rent a car after our 4 days at Disney($83). Is there any other place that we can rent a car without having to go back to the airport? Hubby seems to think that Enterprise will come pick us up at Disneyland. Does anyone know if this is so? I spose I could call and ask.

One option was to rent the car when we get in but then we'd have to pay to park it at Disneyland and renting the car for the week is a little more than for just the 4-5 days that we actually need the car. Plus, it would cost us to park the car at Disney but I couldn't find what that rate is. Hubby called and was told $15 a day but I also noticed that's the rate for parking to go to the park one day so did the person not understand we might park the car there for 4 days? not sure.

so many options, just not sure which one to choose. what would you do if you were me? hopefully I gave enough info about my lil dilemma. thanks in advance for any help!!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,075 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: questions about rental cars

The major car rental companies, (Hertz, Avis, etc) have offices near DL and will all provide free pickup at your hotel. There may be a 'drop charge' if you pick up the car in Anaheim and drop it at LAX ($40 or $50) but, on the other hand, you'd save on the cost of the shuttle back to LAX and then there's the convenience factor of picking up the car in Anaheim.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: questions about rental cars

Several of the big national rental car companies have locations within a half a mile or so of Disneyland, including Enterprise, Hertz, Avis, Alamo, and Dollar. I imagine that they'd all be willing to pick you up but of course you should call ahead to the specific location and ask. Also be aware that most non-airport rental car offices are closed on Sundays and some on Saturdays as well, so be sure to check if you need to pick up the car one of those days.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: questions about rental cars

$15 for 1 day parking at Disney sounds about right. You are correct that if going for 4 days, parking would be $15 x 4.

You can always look for a hotel that has free parking and within walking distance to Disney.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: questions about rental cars

There is an Alamo Rental Office on property at Downtown Disney, right next to the Disneyland Hotel (next to the movie theater), but as mentioned, most rental companies now pick you up at no extra charge.

And parking is included when you stay at a Disney owned Hotel, either as part of the package, or in the "Resort: fee that is charged if you didn't get a package. Doesn't matter if you have a car or not, everyone pay the same.

Edited: 23 January 2012, 11:31
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: questions about rental cars

If the parking is included, 8 day car rental is probably not too much more than a 4 day car rental. Plus you'll save the shuttle fees so it's a wash. However, your best car rental rates won't be up until August or September, if you look now the rates are probably high.

Edited: 23 January 2012, 23:15
Roseville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
526 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: questions about rental cars

ah....thanks for all the great advice!!! really appreciate it!

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,188 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: questions about rental cars

If you go to their web sites and indicate that you want a non-airport rental (might be called a "neighborhood office" and put in DL's zip code 92802 you can get the direct number of the local office and call them about whether they will pick you up at the hotel.

Two more pieces of advice:. Generally airport rentals are more expensive than non-airport and, as of a couple of years ago, whe I rented off-airport but returned to the airport they charged me the full airport rate. So, if you can return your car to a non-airport location and find another way to get back to LAX you might save some money. Second, even after you've made your reservation, keep checking as your trip approaches because rates fluctuate quite a bit and you will not automatically get the cheaper reate, you have to make a new reservation

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: questions about rental cars

FYI, if you don't care which major Rental Company you use, Hotwire is a great place to get a rental car, and they use On-Airport locations. If you look at the costs of a taxi or Shuttle/Shared Van to get you to the airport, the minor cost difference as compared to off-airport sites will more than likely end up saving you more by avoiding the taxi/van.

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: questions about rental cars

Rental rates change all the time, go up, go down, locking in a prepaid non-changeable reservation with Hotwire for an October rental would not be advisable so far in advance.

Roseville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
526 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: questions about rental cars

thanks everyone, really appreciate it!!