We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel suggestions needed

Waipahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
26 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel suggestions needed

Needing suggestions for hotel. We (2 adults, 2 kids age 8/11) will be going to the following attractions: L.A. Zoo, Warner Bros. studio tour, CA science ctr. & Natural History Museum. Viewed posting in Burbank, Pasadena, & Glendale forums. Most postings were either not current or had mixed reviews.

Looking for hotel w/ the following: free parking (if possible), free breakfast &/or has many area restaurants. We will have a car. <$180/nt.

Thanks for your help :)

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,714 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel suggestions needed

If you look at the right-hand column of this page, you'll see a box titled "TOP QUESTIONS ABOUT LOS ANGELES". Below that heading there's a link "Where to Stay". That link includes instructions on how to search for hotels based upon the neighorhood you want, price range, star-rating of the hotel, travel dates and a lot more.

You haven't specified your travel dates -- a necessary piece of info since hotel rates vary from month to month (as well as between weeknights and weekend nights).

Just the same, here are some hotels to consider (but DO look at the TOP QUESTIONS section for help):

1. In Hollywood:

a. Hollywood Celebrity Hotel -- basic 2-star hotel with suites (with kitchens), free parking, free breakfast. The hotel is IN THE CENTER of everything in Hollywood.

b. Villa Delle Stelle -- little cottages with kitchens and living rooms -- a few minutes from Central Holiday by car. You'll need rollaway beds (provided) for the kids. Some restaurants within walking distance. Parking is free (on the street). No breakfast.

c. Hollywood Hotel (on Vermont Av) -- solid 3-star hotel on the outer edge of Hollywood, steps from public transit (5 minutes to the center of Hollywood). Free parking (I think, or it's inexpensive), free breakfast. Not much in the way of restaurants near the hotel but it's a short red line (metro rail) ride to central Hollywood or you can take a 5-minute ride north on Vermont Av into the Los Feliz neighborhood which is packed with restaurants.

2. In Burbank -- the Best Western Media Center Hotel -- 3-star, free breakfast, free parking. Area restaurants nearby.

Waipahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
26 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel suggestions needed

Pretty much ready every review for hotels in West Hollywood, Pasadena, Glendale & LA areas in addition to other postings. Thanks for narrowing it down.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,693 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel suggestions needed

I'd caution you against putting too much weight on the fact that a hotel had "mixed" reviews. Every hotel, right on up to the Four Seasons, will have some negative reviews. Somebody will think that something wasn't up to snuff, that they were promised something they didn't get, etc. Sometimes things just went wrong in an unusual manner, e.g. the reservation system failed.

I look at the number of positive reviews (4 and 5) versus negative ones (1 and 2). If there are more negative reviews I'll rule that out. I look at how the recent reviews are trending, are they getting better or worse. I look at whether the positive and negative reviewers are people who've written 1 review or 20 or 30. I look at whether what people are complaining about is important to me. To me, a free breakfast is not an important feature. I also know that most hotels in LA, at least above the basic motel level, charge for parking, so I don't penalize them for that.

Edited: 29 January 2012, 20:59
4. Re: Hotel suggestions needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2013, 10:26