We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petit Le Ermitage or Mondrian Hotel

Adelaide
Level Contributor
70 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Petit Le Ermitage or Mondrian Hotel

Hi everyone, we are travelling to LA in March and we will be using public transport, hop on/off bus, taxis and our feet, can I have your opinion on whether the Petit Le Ermitage or the Mondrian Hotel would be more convenient from a transportation perspective? And also which would be more convenient for easy access to restaurants and things to do? Thanks for any help!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Petit Le Ermitage or Mondrian Hotel

If you're willing to walk 1/4 - 1/2 mile or so, there's not much difference in these hotels as far as public transportation access goes, as the two main bus lines in these areas are #302 on Sunset Blvd. and #704 on Santa Monica and you can access both from within 1/2 mile from each hotel. #704 is somewhat more useful in most situations and Le Petit Armitage is the closer of the two to that bus route.

And really the two hotels are less than a mile from each other, which is nothing in the massive LA area, so as far as taxi access goes, one probably isn't going to be significantly different than the other.

Mondrian is right on the famous Sunset Strip, which is more of an "up all night" and trendy area, with restaurants, bars and small nightlife venues. Petit Ermitage is one small block off of Santa Monica Blvd., which itself has its share of restaurants and bars, so you won't lack for eating & drinking in either location.

One other difference is that Mondrian is more of a full-fledged hotel, while Le Petit Ermitage is more of a boutique hotel / converted apartment building (albeit a nice one). So if it were me, everything else being equal I'd prefer Mondrian but I don't think you'll go wrong either way.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,397 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Petit Le Ermitage or Mondrian Hotel

It is actually Petit Ermitage, not to be confused with L'Ermitage Beverly Hills.

The two hotels are very different. I prefer the smaller size and quieter ambiance of the Petit Ermitage and I hate the minimalism of the Mondrian, I am not an Ian Schrager fan. Minimalism aside, the Mondrian is a nice place with a great pool and I do love Asia de Cuba.

It is really just a matter of personal taste.

http://www.petitermitage.com/

http://www.lermitagebh.com/

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Petit Le Ermitage or Mondrian Hotel

The Sunset Strip and the Mondrian are uphill from the buses on Santa Monica Boulevard. If that might be a problem stay at Petit Ermitage. If you're OK with it, then either one will work. It's been a while, but I've had good experiences at both hotels.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
70 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Petit Le Ermitage or Mondrian Hotel

Thanks everyone for your responses, they are really helpful.

Sounds like either one will be good, am favouring Petit Ermitage .......... thanks for clearing that one up for me Scottca! Just had a quick look at the L'Ermitage Beverley Hills ....... wow, looks fantastic. How does L'Ermitage BH rate in the transport and restaurant categories compared with Petit Ermitage?

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Petit Le Ermitage or Mondrian Hotel

Transit-wise, L'Ermitage in Beverly Hills would be better, because you'd have access to more bus lines. You'd still be near the Santa Monica Boulevard buses. You'd also be about a 10 minute walk from the Wilshire Blvd. buses--local 20 and especially the 720 Wilshire rapid, which is very frequent and fast. It stops at Wilshire Blvd. & Beverly Dr. The 720 goes out to Westwood/UCLA and Santa Monica and inbound to the LA County Museum, Koreatown, and Downtown LA.

You'd also be near the 16 bus which runs on Third St. over to the Farmers Market/The Grove, though the Beverly Hills portion of that bus isn't that frequent. You wouldn't encounter serious hill issues there.

Edited: 02 February 2012, 14:59
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,397 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Petit Le Ermitage or Mondrian Hotel

I would say L'Ermitage Beverley Hills is better for transport and restaurants.

The Beverly Center is walkable (about 1 mile), you have the great restaurants in that area, Beverly Hills proper, (like Rodeo Dr) is a 1/2 mile away and you have better buses in that area as well I think.

One of my favorite restaurants is about three blocks away, Il Cielo. It is one of LA's most romantic restaurants.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
70 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Petit Le Ermitage or Mondrian Hotel

Many thanks Wanderer and Scottca, your advice is very appreciated. L'Ermitage Beverley Hills conveniently has a fabulous offer on at the moment so I think thats now become my number 1 choice. Thanks again! Molly

Scotland
Level Contributor
1 post
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Petit Le Ermitage or Mondrian Hotel

hi

i was just reading the replies below and wonder if I can ask some questions. I have booked to stay at the petit le ermitage in sep fri-monday before I go to vegas. I also saw a deal for the W hollywood and i am not sure if i should change hotels? any suggestions?

Also: my friends told me to NOT take public transport as its not safe?? your posts have changed my opinion, I am not 100% if I should hire a car or just jump on buses and tour buses to see the site in 3 days.

also - what is it like trying to get into clubs? and what would you reccommend? I am 30 and my partner is 33? We like a good dance and night out? sorry for the 300 questions I am just really keen to get some ideas. thanks all xxxx

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,397 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Petit Le Ermitage or Mondrian Hotel

The W is a great hotel and it is close to the subway.

If you are gay, stay at Petit Ermitage, it is just above Boy's Town. If you are straight, go to the W, it is closer to better straight dance clubs.

10. Re: Petit Le Ermitage or Mondrian Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 05:15