We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
englnad uk
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with LA location!!!

This is my first time to the states, we are a grouo of 5 guys and will be in LA for 3 nights and after a week in Vegas another 2 nights, i have read most of the info on tripadvisor and still not clear on where to stay

The plan is to go out every night and enjoy the nightlif,in the day spend time on the beach (if we stay nearby) and get in 3-5 of the main tourist attractions while in LA, which we can see over the five days in LA,I appreciate getting around with traffic is a headache and we will have a car and use public transport wherever posiible

Can anyone suggest a good location to stay in, somewhere which is lively, we dont have to be right near the beach as long as we can get to it without too much fuss, ideally we would like shops restaurants and tourist attractions nearby,thank you for any help

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with LA location!!!

I like Huntington Beach , lively, great location and decent access to places like the Disneyland Resort, Knott's Berry Farm, The Outlets at Orange, South Coast Plaza, Fashion Island and much more if you get a rental car.

www.surfcityusa.com

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with LA location!!!

This will depend on a) your hotel budget (can you share it with us, please - if you can give it to us in USD per night, that would be best) and b) 5 people in LA can be an issue in terms of hotels - most hotels do not allow more than 4 people in a room, so you may find yourselves in need of two rooms.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,416 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with LA location!!!

Santa Monica would be my choice. Much closer to LA attractions, still close to the beach, lively night life, and more convenient to connect to the LA transportation grid.

No need for a group of guys to stay near the outlets or mall unless you want shopping , which you didn't mention.

Dr. Z

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with LA location!!!

I'd second Santa Monica, it gives you the best mix of the things you're after. The question would be your hotel budget--Santa Monica hotels are more expensive than those further inland.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help with LA location!!!

Dr. Z... reread the OP, they did say "Shops"

And here is a link to the Public Transit system for Huntington Beach, OCTA Routes 1 and 29 are the main buses that serve the area...

www.octa.net

But getting a rental car is the preferred option. Use the car during the day, then enjoy the bars in HB at night, after you park the car for the evening.....

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,721 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help with LA location!!!

I also say to look in Santa Monica, but it all depends on budget. IT's at the beach, you can walk to shops and bars and restaurants and cafes and nightlife. It's close enough to Hollywood sights and other sights for your daytime sightseeing. It's a great base.

Huntington Beach is an hour south of Los Angeles, and I do not recommend considering it.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help with LA location!!!

Oh, by the way, The Outlets at Orange is not just a group of Outlet Stores, but a major Shoppertainment Mall with lots of entertainment and other options...

http://www.simon.com/mall/?id=1236

And FYI, Santa Monica is a city in Los Angeles County, about 30 minutes drive time from Downtown LA., it is about a 45 minute drive from Huntington Beach, and IMHO a better experence than staying in Santa Monica....

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,631 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help with LA location!!!

Unfortunately, if you want to see the LA sights by day, Huntington Beach is too far without a car. If Santa Monica is too expensive for you, Hollywood has some good hotels. Look at the 'Los Angeles Hotels' section on the left side of this page for their names and locations.

Santa Monica is easy to get to by bus from Hollywood. That, or Venice, would be your best beach options if you stay in the LA area.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help with LA location!!!

The trip from Santa Monica to the Hollywood/Downtown LA area is about an hour on the bus, sometimes more, depending on which route you are taking....

www.metro.net

www.bigbluebus.com

If you opt for Huntington Beach, you can take the OCTA Route 29 to the Buena Park Metrolink Station, which will take you to Union Station in Downtown LA.

Edited: 20 February 2012, 16:39
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,659 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help with LA location!!!

I would stay in Downtown Los Angeles.

You can grab the Big Blue Bus to head to the beach during the day.

Downtown LA has the subway to connect you to Hollywood and Universal Studios for attractions and the clubs in the Hollywood area.

Downtown has the train that goes to Anaheim if you wanted to see Disneyland.

Downtown has some of LA best nightlife and hottest clubs.

What do you consider the "main tourist attractions"? It could be different from what other people perceive.